iPlayer switches to secure RMTPE streaming of radio

Old January 20th 11, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Webster

Default iPlayer switches to secure RMTPE streaming of radio

Richard Evans wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

As a result of things like this you never know whether the unmissable
programme will in fact be missed.

Andy

I wonder whether it's feasible to build a system that records every
program on every channel for a week. I've never got around to doing the
Maths before, but lets see.

With 6 multiplexes, each transmitting a total of 30 Mbits/sec (I think),
lets call that a total of around about 25 MBytes/Sec. = 1.5 Gb /min. =
90Gb/hour. = A bit more than 2Tb/Day.

Humm.... so I reckon we would be talking somewhere around about 15Tb per
week. Perhaps a RAID system based upon 2Tb drives could store that much.
8 * 2Tb (plus the appropriate number of parity drives), would create
16Tb of storage.

So I reckon just about possible, but a bit expensive at the moment.

Richard E.

Back in mid-2005 some folks at BBC were working on that - and built a box "Pandora" and showed it a few times.
They recorded 7 days from 3 Freeview mux.

There is an old web site about it
http://promise.tv

It featured in "Broadcast" in August 2005 and was discussed in a few other places
I joined in the discussion over at nntp://uk.tech.tv.video.pvr back then

--
Rgds
Paul Webster
Old January 21st 11, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Adrian C

On 20/01/2011 13:25, Paul Webster wrote:
Richard wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

[...]

Thanks for finding that. I remember that item as well, but was having a
problem asking google about it.

From that 2005 thread, Carl W mentioned ...

"Back of an envelope calculation suggests you could record all six
multiplexes 24/7 for a month in about 2 or 3 terabytes. That's 5 or 6
400 gig drives, total cost a grand or so."

Incidently a couple of 2TB Samsung drives is now 120 at Scan (check
HotUKDeals.com)

--
Adrian C