HUMAX PVR - inaccurate recording starts.

Old February 18th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dickie mint

Default HUMAX PVR - inaccurate recording starts.

Anyone else with a Humax 9200T PVR notice that if you set "Series Link"
(SL)it fails to use "Accurate Record" (AR) to start a recording?

We were away in Sheffield last week and the week before for several
days, and recorded a lot of stuff. Watching it all it seems, from the
small number of recordings, that two conclusions can be inferred:
1. BBC1, BBC2 and itv1 programmes which have been selected from Series
Link always start late. At least 10 - 15 secs into the programme start
at a guess. Not knowing how the programme starts makes estimates difficult.
2. BBC1, BBC2 and itv programmes without Series Link set start correctly
at the ad or trail break before programme start.
3. Channel 4, with series link set recordings start correctly at the ad
break before the programme. Too few Ch. 4 programmes recorded to decide
if this was a fluke or a correct action.
)All with Accurate Record set on the Humax.)

Now as the Humax should be checking Event Information Table
present/following (EITpf)(or Now & Next) every 30 seconds, it looks like
SL is switching off AR.

It would be useful when I email Humax with this apparent problem if I
could quote others who experience it too. Also do other PVRs, like the
Topfield, suffer this ?

Richard
Old February 18th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
royc

"Dickie mint"
wrote in
message ...
[...]

I gave up with series link/acurate recording,
'cause it was to unreliable! & went cack to auto
padding.

Roy

Old March 1st 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Rojo Habe

Mine's been a lot better with the .21 software but it does often miss the
first few seconds. I was assuming this was down to sloppy timing by the
broadcasters in changing the status from 'Starting Soon' to 'Started'. Let
us know how you get on if you do contact them. There are also a lot of
knowledgeable people you can talk to at www.hummy.org.uk/invison. I believe
there are some Humax staff who monitor the forum.

With the previous software (.20) the problem was horrendous. Sometimes
recordings would start half an hour late if at all. I did miss the fist
twenty minutes of something the other night too, but I'm hoping that was
just a one-off.

Old March 1st 08, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Victor Delta[_2_]

"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
Mine's been a lot better with the .21 software but it does often miss the
first few seconds. I was assuming this was down to sloppy timing by the
broadcasters in changing the status from 'Starting Soon' to 'Started'.

I assumed it was due to the time it takes for the Humax to boot up from
stand-by.

If there is a 'starting soon' status, does the Humax actually wake up then,
and start recording as soon as the status changes to 'started'?

Old March 3rd 08, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dickie mint

Victor Delta wrote:
"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
Mine's been a lot better with the .21 software but it does often miss
the first few seconds. I was assuming this was down to sloppy timing
by the broadcasters in changing the status from 'Starting Soon' to
'Started'.

I assumed it was due to the time it takes for the Humax to boot up from
stand-by.

If there is a 'starting soon' status, does the Humax actually wake up
then, and start recording as soon as the status changes to 'started'?

The Humax will check every 10 seconds for a "running status" flag in the
EITpf table to change. This table should be repeated every two seconds.

Should the broadcaster choose to use the running status flag I reckon it
should be changed to "running" at least 12 seconds before the programme
rolls.

As the BBC have stated that they signal programme start, which I assume
is the running status flag, at the beginning of the last advert there
should be plenty of time for the Humax to roll before the programme does.

itv1 will be sending this information "in the next few months".

Patently either the BBC are not changing it when they say they do, or
the Humax doesn't quite use the information correctly.

I'm in email contact with knowledgeable people (more so than me!) in
both organisations. I want to understand the problem and so do they!

Richard
Old March 6th 08, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
royc

[...]

I'm having trouble latly with ch4 populating,
surly it needs to populate before series
link/Accurate Record can work?

Roy

Old March 6th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dickie mint

royc wrote:

I'm having trouble latly with ch4 populating,
surly it needs to populate before series
link/Accurate Record can work?

Roy

The EPG comes from another EIT table - EITschedule. The repetition rate
for this varies due to the days off. So yes it needs to populate first.

From the relevant spec (though my copy is some years old!) :-

For "today" the repetition rate is 10 secs for the mux you're on, 1
minute for the others.
The whole 7 days worth is 30 secs for the mux you're on, 5 minutes for
the others.

So to get channel 4 to populate more quickly tune to it, or itv.

Richard
Old March 6th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Victor Delta[_2_]

"Dickie mint" wrote in message
The whole 7 days worth is 30 secs for the mux you're on, 5 minutes for the
others.

So to get channel 4 to populate more quickly tune to it, or itv.

Even tuned to Channel 4 this evening, I had to wait over 15 minutes for the
EPG to populate - and that was just for a programme that fell outside the
now and next categories.

Old March 8th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dickie mint

Victor Delta wrote:
"Dickie mint" wrote in message
The whole 7 days worth is 30 secs for the mux you're on, 5 minutes for
the others.

So to get channel 4 to populate more quickly tune to it, or itv.

Even tuned to Channel 4 this evening, I had to wait over 15 minutes for
the EPG to populate - and that was just for a programme that fell
outside the now and next categories.

Odd, I've never noticed ch 4 take anything like that long!

Richard
Old March 10th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
royc

"Dickie mint"
wrote in
message ...
Victor Delta wrote:
"Dickie mint"

wrote in
message
The whole 7 days worth is 30 secs for the mux

you're on, 5 minutes for
the others.

So to get channel 4 to populate more quickly

tune to it, or itv.

Even tuned to Channel 4 this evening, I had to

wait over 15 minutes for
the EPG to populate - and that was just for a

programme that fell
outside the now and next categories.

Odd, I've never noticed ch 4 take anything like

that long!

Richard

Ch4 seems to be gettin worse, some nights it only
populates for the now & next program. I am tuned
to ch4, the tv program guide populates ok. I tried
a 'reset' on Humax, it retuned all channes ok, but
ch4 still will not populate!

any ideas?

Roy