Tivo or Toppy

Old February 10th 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Lister

Default Tivo or Toppy

Which is better? Any comparison sites out there?
Old February 10th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve Olive

Very different beasts.

I've got two TiVo's (in the loft) and a Toppy (working like a dream)

THE big feature of TiVo is the ability to record from an external
source. Very few PVR's do that (none with built in Freeview) I suspect.
The other huge plus point is the interface. Nothing, and I do mean
nothing, comes close.
The TV guide data (which costs 10/month) is second to none. There's a
good reason why but I can't remember it.
TiVo is also cheap. (40 on eBay)

Toppy is small, flexible, offers loads of recording time, extra features
via TAP's and has twin Freeview tuners.
It's well supported, quiet and just a fine bit of kit.
If you want a PVR, and want the best, it's Toppy (or the Humax 9200)

Old February 10th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Lister

Lister wrote:
Which is better? Any comparison sites out there?

Can the toppy record from a TV aerial?
Old February 10th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Peter[_4_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:45:13 +0000, Lister
wrote:

Can the toppy record from a TV aerial?

Sure. That's all that it'll record from. It has no other input.

Peter.
Old February 10th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Alan

In message , Lister
wrote
wrote:

Can the toppy record from a TV aerial?

A Toppy (Topfield) 5800, or soon to be released 5810, are dual tuner UK
Freeview PVRs - their only input is Digital Terrestrial TV via an
aerial.

http://toppy.org.uk/

Topfield also do satellite boxes and boxes suited for other countries
but with different model numbers.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old February 10th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"Steve Olive" wrote in message
Very different beasts.

I've got two TiVo's (in the loft) and a Toppy (working like a dream)

THE big feature of TiVo is the ability to record from an external source.
Very few PVR's do that (none with built in Freeview) I suspect.
The other huge plus point is the interface. Nothing, and I do mean
nothing, comes close.
The TV guide data (which costs 10/month) is second to none.

i was with you until then.
it's data isn't second to none at all - when i was using it many channels
didn't have any listings whatsoever - unlike the guide on the sky box.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.
http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/

Old February 11th 08, 12:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Johnny B Good

The message
from Lister contains these words:

Can the toppy record from a TV aerial?

That's its sole purpose! DVB-T only, not analogue, if that was what you
really meant.

--
Regards, John.

Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

Old February 11th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Lister

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 01:43:34 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

The message
from Lister contains these words:

Can the toppy record from a TV aerial?

That's its sole purpose! DVB-T only, not analogue, if that was what you
really meant.

Ah, I don't think I have a DVB-T aerial
Old February 11th 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Peter[_4_]

wrote:

That's its sole purpose! DVB-T only, not analogue, if that was what you
really meant.

Ah, I don't think I have a DVB-T aerial

You will probably be able to pick up the necessary signal with a
normal aerial. There are aerials designed specifically for digital
reception, but older ones work fine in most (I think) cases. I do now
have a digital aerial, but was getting pretty good digital reception
before it was replaced.

Peter.
Old February 11th 08, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Alan

In message , Peter
wrote

wrote:

That's its sole purpose! DVB-T only, not analogue, if that was what you
really meant.

Ah, I don't think I have a DVB-T aerial

You will probably be able to pick up the necessary signal with a
normal aerial. There are aerials designed specifically for digital
reception, but older ones work fine in most (I think) cases. I do now
have a digital aerial, but was getting pretty good digital reception
before it was replaced.

There is no difference between aerials for digital and analogue although
some retailers will try and sell you wideband aerial as a 'digital'
aerial. Cowboy aerial installers will tend to just fit a wideband
aerial.

UK aerials are designed for different groups of transmitter frequencies.

Group A - transmitter channels 21 to 35
Group B - transmitter channels 37 to 53
Group CD - transmitter channels 46 to 68
Group E - transmitter channels 39 to 68
Group K - transmitter channels 21 to 48

Group W - transmitter channels 21 to 68

Group W is a wideband aerial but it is often a seriously compromised
design and will perform worse than an aerial of an equivalent size from
the other groups.

Unfortunately in some areas of the country digital may be transmitted in
some areas on a different group of frequencies than analogue requiring a
different aerial. In some cases a wideband aerial may be required,
especially if analogue is still needed.