Card slot in Toppy

Old November 27th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve Olive

Default Card slot in Toppy

Hi.

There seem to be two blocked off slots on my Toppy, and then two slots
forPCMCIA cards.
I'm a little confused. Having gone for the Setanta 1 for twomonths deal
I've got nowhere to shove the card....:-(

Can anyone help here please?
Old November 28th 07, 06:37 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mark Carver

Steve Olive wrote:
Hi.

There seem to be two blocked off slots on my Toppy, and then two slots
forPCMCIA cards.
I'm a little confused. Having gone for the Setanta 1 for twomonths deal
I've got nowhere to shove the card....:-(

You need a CAM from Setanta too,

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9670

--
Mark
Old November 28th 07, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nigel Whitfield

On 27 Nov, 19:15, Steve Olive wrote:
Hi.

There seem to be two blocked off slots on my Toppy, and then two slots
forPCMCIA cards.
I'm a little confused. Having gone for the Setanta 1 for twomonths deal
I've got nowhere to shove the card....:-(

As mentioned you need a CAM; Setanta will sell you one, and it just
fits in either of the Common Interface bays, which are the things that
look like PC card slots. Card goes in CAM, and you're ready to go.

The blocked off slots above are there because there are some cable and
satellite variations of the Toppy that do have built in decryption, in
different markets; I presume it keeps the mouldings simple for some
reason. The TF5800 has nothing behind those slots.

Old November 30th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jukka Aho

Nigel Whitfield wrote:

The blocked off slots above are there because there are some
cable and satellite variations of the Toppy that do have built
in decryption, in different markets; I presume it keeps the
mouldings simple for some reason. The TF5800 has nothing
behind those slots.

Not only cable and satellite; there are also terrestrial variations with
a built-in decryption support, such as the Finnish/Nordic TF 5100 PVRt
[1] which has a smart card reader in one of those slots and supports
Conax [2] out-of-the-box.

_____

[1] http://www.topfield.fi/p28010-tf_5100_pvr_hdmi.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conax

--
znark

Old December 1st 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 29/11/2007, Steve Olive wrote in message
:

30 seems expensive for the CAM. I'd have only watched a footy match or
two. Ah well.

You're paying for a subscription to the channel: they're trying to rope
you in for a whole year. It doesn't suit viewers like you who have
specific 'target' programmes.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk
Old December 12th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve Olive

Result.

CAM from Setanta for 15 deliverd after a bit of haggling.