Topfield TF5800 OTA update

Old March 15th 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nigel Whitfield

Default Topfield TF5800 OTA update

For those who haven't noticed it, the OTA broadcast of firmware
5.13.40 began this morning, and will continue until the 19th.

It should be repeated fairly regularly, I gather, though I don't have
confirmed dates for repeats yet.

More at www.toppy.org.uk/news/

Nigel.

Old March 16th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Bob

Nigel Whitfield wrote:
For those who haven't noticed it, the OTA broadcast of firmware
5.13.40 began this morning, and will continue until the 19th.

I read in The Guardian recently that the Toppy loses all its settings
when mains power is removed.

Has this been fixed yet ?

I live in a rural area where power outages are not uncommon;
ten here in 2006, and two (so-far) in 2007).
I was planning to buy a Toppy, but this reported lack of robustness
is really making me think twice.

Old March 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nigel Whitfield

On 16 Mar, 17:57, "Bob" wrote:
I read in The Guardian recently that the Toppy loses all its settings
when mains power is removed.

That's a load of ********.

Whoever wrote that was sorely ill-informed. It does no such thing.

However, if it's in standby, then there is an annoying flaw in the
current firmware which means that the clock is reset after a power
cut, and the unit needs to be manually turned on to pick up the time
again.

Two solutions to that - leave it running (with timeshift turned off,
if you want to minimise power consumption), and then when power is
restored, it will return to that state and set the clock itself. So
hardly a massive hardship.

Alternatively, there's a simple patched firmware - which doesn't
invalidate your warranty - which will make it wake up and set the time
even if it was in standby when the power failed.

It certainly doesn't lose any other settings when the power fails, and
never has, whatever firmware version is installed.

Nigel.

Old March 17th 07, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
km

On 15 Mar 2007 04:10:49 -0700, "Nigel Whitfield"
wrote:

For those who haven't noticed it, the OTA broadcast of firmware
5.13.40 began this morning, and will continue until the 19th.

It should be repeated fairly regularly, I gather, though I don't have
confirmed dates for repeats yet.

More at www.toppy.org.uk/news/

Nigel.

Although I have searched for the update several times I have not yet
had a message to say one could be found. Is it actually being
successfully downloaded by people at the moment?

km
Old March 17th 07, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mark Carver

km wrote:

Although I have searched for the update several times I have not yet
had a message to say one could be found. Is it actually being
successfully downloaded by people at the moment?

Most are, but some are having trouble according to the Toppy forum.

Interestingly people using Rowridge, Midhurst, and Hannington seem to be a
particular grouping having difficulty. All three of those sites are fed from
the same SIPSI at BBC Southampton AIUI.

--
Mark
Old March 17th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
km

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:44:14 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

km wrote:

Although I have searched for the update several times I have not yet
had a message to say one could be found. Is it actually being
successfully downloaded by people at the moment?

Most are, but some are having trouble according to the Toppy forum.

Interestingly people using Rowridge, Midhurst, and Hannington seem to be a
particular grouping having difficulty. All three of those sites are fed from
the same SIPSI at BBC Southampton AIUI.

Thanks. That might fit with my situation as I am in East Dorset. I
don't know where I get my signal from but geographically the
Southampton feed seems likely.

km
Old March 17th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nigel Whitfield

Do you have any TAPs installed?

Try restarting the box with 0 held down, and then check for updates.

Nigel.

Old March 17th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
km

On 17 Mar 2007 04:44:38 -0700, "Nigel Whitfield"
wrote:

Do you have any TAPs installed?

Try restarting the box with 0 held down, and then check for updates.

Nigel.

There was only one Auto, I deleted it (I cannot recall installing it -
referred to "crashing") after reading some Forum posts.

Tried again using ITV1 channel and everything OK.

Thanks for advice.

km
Old March 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 16/03/2007, Bob wrote in message [email protected]
reader02.plus.net:

Nigel Whitfield wrote:
For those who haven't noticed it, the OTA broadcast of firmware
5.13.40 began this morning, and will continue until the 19th.

I read in The Guardian recently that the Toppy loses all its settings
when mains power is removed.

Has this been fixed yet ?

No, because it never happened. Even in the very first version of the
firmware. Note that the _Guardian_ just publishes letters sent to it, it
doesn't do fact-checking on the statements in them.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk
Old March 20th 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 17/03/2007, km wrote in message
:

Although I have searched for the update several times I have not yet
had a message to say one could be found. Is it actually being
successfully downloaded by people at the moment?

Have you updated by copying it off the net and using your computer ? This
version of the firmware has been available on the net for some time.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk