PVR using Sky EPG?

Old September 30th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jeremy

Default PVR using Sky EPG?

I visted my brother at the weekend and it was the first time I have seen
a PVR - he gave me a quick whizz through of the features and I more or
less decided on the spot that I muyst get one.

But... that was a Humax (I think) and it had a built-in digital receiver
and EPG.

We have Sky digital here (not sky+) and I am wondering if there is a way
to get the (any) PVR to use the Sky EPG? I guess Sky+ exists for this
purpose but I don't want to be tied into that.

Any suggestions or is it a non-starter?

--

jeremy

jeremy0505 at gmail.com

Old October 1st 05, 06:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Jeremy wrote:

We have Sky digital here (not sky+) and I am wondering if there is a way
to get the (any) PVR to use the Sky EPG? I guess Sky+ exists for this
purpose but I don't want to be tied into that.

Most DVD recorders can be configured to work automatically using the
Sky EPG autoview feature. You need to connect to the VCR scart on the
digibox and so will lose the RGB recording input.

Look for phrases like "autosat" and "autorecord" in the DVDR manual.
It usually involves putting the DVDR into standby.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/7rm2m
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC reception questions? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
Fed up with on-screen logos? : http://logofreetv.org/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old October 1st 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Heather

"Jeremy" wrote in message
t...
I visted my brother at the weekend and it was the first time I have seen
a PVR - he gave me a quick whizz through of the features and I more or
less decided on the spot that I muyst get one.

But... that was a Humax (I think) and it had a built-in digital receiver
and EPG.

We have Sky digital here (not sky+) and I am wondering if there is a way
to get the (any) PVR to use the Sky EPG? I guess Sky+ exists for this
purpose but I don't want to be tied into that.

Any suggestions or is it a non-starter?

Your only option for a PVR with Sky (apart from Sky+) is to buy a Tivo but I
can't really see any benefit in doing so.

- Simon.

Old October 1st 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jeremy

In article , Jomtien says...

Most DVD recorders can be configured to work automatically using the
Sky EPG autoview feature. You need to connect to the VCR scart on the
digibox and so will lose the RGB recording input.

Thanks - seems to be at odds with Simon's post on the matter - stating
that Tivo is the only alternative to Sky+ ?
--

jeremy
Old October 1st 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jeremy

In article , Simon
Heather says...
Your only option for a PVR with Sky (apart from Sky+) is to buy a Tivo but I
can't really see any benefit in doing so.

Contradicts Jomtien's statements - if you're right, why is there no
benefit in using Tivo instead of Sky+? With the latter one has to pay
(if I am not mistaken) a monthly fee on top?

--

jeremy
Old October 2nd 05, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Jeremy wrote:

seems to be at odds with Simon's post on the matter - stating
that Tivo is the only alternative to Sky+ ?

For some odd reason people rarely mention using the Sky EPG autoview
feature. This includes Sky themselves though they designed it to work
like that and they did quite a good job. I suppose it's all to do with
favouring Sky+ sales.

There are also other alternatives such as DVDRs with the GuidePlus+
("most redundant name ever") system though, as I said, most DVDRs will
respond correctly to the Sky autoview EPG.

Old October 2nd 05, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Simon Heather wrote:

Your only option for a PVR with Sky (apart from Sky+) is to buy a Tivo but I
can't really see any benefit in doing so.

Wow. So many mistakes in so few words.

1) The Tivo EPG/software is more reliable and has many more features
than the Sky EPG/software. So that's a good reason to buy one for a
start. Also one can use a Tivo with a lifetime fee instead of a
monthly fee so that is also worthwhile if one intends using it for
more than 20 months.

2) There are also several other options as I have described. None
require any payment for EPG service at all. So that must be good also.

Old October 2nd 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 30/09/2005, Jeremy wrote in message
:

We have Sky digital here (not sky+) and I am wondering if there is a way
to get the (any) PVR to use the Sky EPG? I guess Sky+ exists for this
purpose but I don't want to be tied into that.

That information belongs to Sky and they sell it only as part of their
subscription packages.

But all UK PVRs have week-ahead information. Is that sufficient for
whatever feature you found shiny ?

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk
Old October 3rd 05, 07:18 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Simon Slavin wrote:

We have Sky digital here (not sky+) and I am wondering if there is a way
to get the (any) PVR to use the Sky EPG? I guess Sky+ exists for this
purpose but I don't want to be tied into that.

That information belongs to Sky and they sell it only as part of their
subscription packages.

Total b*ll*cks.

The Sky EPG is provided free of charge to all Sky digibox users
regardless of whether they have any sort of subscription or not.
Software updates are provided free to all boxes also.

Old October 3rd 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jeremy

In article , Simon Slavin
says...

But all UK PVRs have week-ahead information. Is that sufficient for
whatever feature you found shiny ?

Well if it lists the sky programs and sky channels and can record the
signal from the Sky digibox thingummy then yes - if it is just the
freeview EPG then it's not sufficient.

--

jeremy
'01 Triumph Sprint ST in green