Freeview and TUTV probs

Old September 25th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Baffled

Default Freeview and TUTV probs

Hi,
I'm new here, and not fully conversant with the technology.

I have an original and dated Pioneer ONdigital set-top box,
Model DBR-T210gbr.
With original ONdigital broadcasts I do not recollect any
problems with UK Gold. Then it all folded and I used it
just for the Freeview channels without any problems.
Early sept I signed up for TUTV, specifically for the
reruns of HIGNFY.
All went well, apart from that specific channel - UK Gold.
The image quality is excellent but is subject to screen
freeze and occasional break-up, but puzzlingly it gets
worse in the early hours of the morning, when the screen
goes black for approx 10 seconds and no sound?
This seems to be happening in 20 minute segments,
and only with that specific channel? All other channel
reception is perfect?
I've performed all the obvious stuff - rescan/retune,
disconnect/reconnect etc etc.
The "Auto Update" function goes through it's routine for
a couple of minutes then displays: "Update error" which
transpires means All OK??
Pioneer.co.uk have been of no help, and TUTV claim that
it is not possible for it to be their "Transmission stream" to
be at fault as it is only one channel suffering a problem,
if it were the "stream" I'd suffer problems on "all channels".
TUTV suggested it maybe the "vintage" of my specific
set-top box, but it is listed on their site as a valid and
supported model?
Has anyone got a clue what is the cause?
If I were to update to a new TUTV ready set top box,
would the problem with UK Gold reception be solved?
Does anyone know this to be a problem only with this
specific and ancient Pioneer set top box?
(I live in South London with correct type of rooftop aerial
pointed directly at Crystal Palace! So thats not the issue.).

The aim of going with TUTV was to set up a PVR using
the Pioneer set top box with a HDD/DVD recorder,
specifically the Sony RDR-HX710 which seems to be
delightfully well specified with 160gb HD and dual-layer
burner, and also I found an online dealer that also has
a store near to me here in London, selling it at a very
tempting price of 309, BUT.............
It is a French PAL/SEGAM model. Apart from the manual
being in French (but can download an English pdf version
from Sony UK) It seems there should not be any problem
using a French market model here in UK - is that true?
Anyone had experiance of this?
Alternatively, if replacing the Pioneer is only solution to
solving UK Golds problems, should I wait for the new
Humax PVR-9200T, being a "dual tuner"/160gb HDD
with facility for a CAM(?) to receive TUTV.
There seems to be plenty of speculation online about
it, and if it solves the reception problem it is tempting,
but cannot actually find anywhere that is selling it?
Nor what it's price will be?
Sorry to have been so long-winded.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Old September 25th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Graham

All went well, apart from that specific channel - UK Gold.
The image quality is excellent but is subject to screen
freeze and occasional break-up, but puzzlingly it gets
worse in the early hours of the morning, when the screen
goes black for approx 10 seconds and no sound?

Are you sure that you are not having the same problem with other channels on
MUX A
Eg. Cartoon Network or Boomerang?

Not to mention unscrambled ones like Channel 5 and QVC?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 25th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Baffled

"Graham" wrote in message ...

All went well, apart from that specific channel - UK Gold.
The image quality is excellent but is subject to screen
freeze and occasional break-up, but puzzlingly it gets
worse in the early hours of the morning, when the screen
goes black for approx 10 seconds and no sound?

Are you sure that you are not having the same problem with other channels
on
MUX A
Eg. Cartoon Network or Boomerang?

Not to mention unscrambled ones like Channel 5 and QVC?

Hi
Thanks for responding.
I don't know what "MUX A" is?
But as you've pointed out specific channels -
this is exactly as TUTV via phone and email
also suggested I check. For my location they
specified Channel 5 as the test channel -
I have dire analoque reception for 5, but
via "freeview" it is perfect - no freeze, no
break-up, no ten second black screen.
And yes I have checked other TUTV only
channels, all fine.
It is only UK Gold.
It was suggested by a non technical pal,
that maybe a "signal booster" may help,
and that maybe the signal "is weaker"
during the night into the early hours,
(when problem is at it's worst and the
black screen segments are frequent)
But TUTV say not so, that their "stream"
is constant around the clock.
I don't know what else to do and am
relunctant to upgrade to a new box if
the problem will persist.

Old September 25th 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Baffled

"steve" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:47:25 +0000, Baffled wrote:

[...]

Somewhere in the menus, I forget where (technical information??), you can
see the signal strength, tune to UHF Channel 32 and see what the reading
is.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried that and always get "Green"
But just tried as you suggest:
It is indeed option 7 - "Technical Information"
I retuned to UHF Channel 32 as you recommended
The bar graph was Green all the way upto just short
of the figure 4 (It's scaled 1 - 4) so approx 90% of graph
and the indicator showed as "Green" = Good reception.

Old September 25th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Graham

Well I'm a little baffled now.

You could of course try your box somewhere else with a CP aerial.

Anyone got any ideas why one channel should break up, yet the other channels
in the same multiplex remain unaffected?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 25th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Baffled

"Graham" wrote in message ...

Well I'm a little baffled now.

You could of course try your box somewhere else with a CP aerial.

Anyone got any ideas why one channel should break up, yet the other
channels
in the same multiplex remain unaffected?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Hi Graham
I'm grateful to you for taking the time with my problem.
I will try the box this week with a colleaques aerial. Just
to see if it is a fault within the Pioneer?
But in my location - a small block of six Barret-type flats,
I'm the only one who invested in a rooftop aerial.
My immediate neighbours are local cable, Sky dish
and one is only now considering "digital" in view of
impending turn-off.

Old September 26th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
JPG

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:47:25 +0000 (UTC), "Baffled" wrote:

Hi,
I'm new here, and not fully conversant with the technology.

I have an original and dated Pioneer ONdigital set-top box,
Model DBR-T210gbr.
With original ONdigital broadcasts I do not recollect any
problems with UK Gold. Then it all folded and I used it
just for the Freeview channels without any problems.
Early sept I signed up for TUTV, specifically for the
reruns of HIGNFY.
All went well, apart from that specific channel - UK Gold.
The image quality is excellent but is subject to screen
freeze and occasional break-up, but puzzlingly it gets
worse in the early hours of the morning, when the screen
goes black for approx 10 seconds and no sound?
This seems to be happening in 20 minute segments,
and only with that specific channel? All other channel
reception is perfect?

I know someone who used to get the same thing when a train went past, and/or
someone started their car nearby.

Impulse interference from nearby electrical systems can cause the problems you
are getting.
Old September 26th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Baffled

I know someone who used to get the same thing when a train went past,
and/or
someone started their car nearby.

Impulse interference from nearby electrical systems can cause the problems
you
are getting.

Hi and thanks for the suggestion, but this seems to have
been ruled out as a cause, TUTV previously guided me to
an ofcom reception/interference site - I've still got the
link somewhere - which had a basic walkthrough for
assessing interference, thermostats- central heating/Fridge etc.
Just to sum up the problem:
Have owned the Pioneer set top box since days of ONdigital.
Back in those days I don't remember any problems with UK Gold.
After ONdigital folded (or whatever it was called back then?)
I carried on with just the free to view channels via "Freeview"
No problems, no interference, no break up with any Freeview
channels - and still perfect reception with all "free to view" channels.
Signed up very recently - just over 3 weeks - to TUTV.
Scanned and tuned to All available TUTV channels, all received
and seemingly perfect reception - apart from just one channel.
Have checked and double-checked.
TUTV have been very helpful.
Pioneer only suggested placing box with authorized repairer-
Though many rule this out as if it were a component or circuit
of the hardware - there would be other symptoms?
Apparently the indications are it to be a reception problem, But
confusingly it is strictly only one channel suffering - as you may
have seen elsewhere in thread other experts/posters found this odd.
And also TUTV via phone insisted that if it were to be interference/
reception problem, more channels would suffer.
This week I've arranged to try the box in another location
on a work colleaques aerial - he too has TUTV, and receives OK.
If problem remains then it has to be an issue with the Pioneer,
If UK Gold reception is OK in other location, the Pioneer is innocent
and it has to be an issue of reception in my location?
Many thanks to all who have taken time to consider the problem.
If I do find out what the cause is and it to be unusual and maybe
of interest, I will post.
Take care and thanks.

Old September 26th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Adrian

Baffled wrote:
[...]

Like everybody else, I'm baffled. It would be interesting if you could try
your friends box on your aerial, if that exhibits the same problem then
you'll know it's not a faultr with your box.

--
Adrian

Old September 27th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
John Porcella

"Baffled" wrote in message
[...]

There are no more software updates for our old boxes.

Pioneer.co.uk have been of no help, and TUTV claim that
it is not possible for it to be their "Transmission stream" to
be at fault as it is only one channel suffering a problem,
if it were the "stream" I'd suffer problems on "all channels".
TUTV suggested it maybe the "vintage" of my specific
set-top box, but it is listed on their site as a valid and
supported model?
Has anyone got a clue what is the cause?
If I were to update to a new TUTV ready set top box,
would the problem with UK Gold reception be solved?
Does anyone know this to be a problem only with this
specific and ancient Pioneer set top box?
(I live in South London with correct type of rooftop aerial
pointed directly at Crystal Palace! So thats not the issue.).

You might be suffering from excessive analogue signals interfering with the
workings of the box.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella