My quest for the right tuner card

Old September 18th 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Thomas Watson

Default My quest for the right tuner card

I've been looking to build my first PVR using Linux and MythTV. I've
done some research concerning TV tuner cards but have ended up with more
questions then answers - hope you can help me.

I've been primarily looking at the WinTV cards from Hauppauge since
everywhere I reed these seems to be favored (please tell me if I'm wrong)

First I looked at the analog WinTV PVR 150/250/350 since I found lots of
people saying nice things about them and that they should work great
with Linux. I then stumbled upon the WinTV PVR 500MCE. I saw that it had
two tuners so I apparently could record one show while watching another.
But as far as I could see the Linux support was still a bit shaky - some
people had got it to work but it took them about a week with hardcore
trial-and-error.

Then I realized that analog was maybe not what I needed. I have a cable
provider called TDC (Danish) and they also provide digital TV and a
proprietary set-top box. So I thought I might try to tab into that
instead of the analog channels. After a bid of research I found I should
use a DVB-c card ('c' for cable TV). So I tracked down the
WinTV-NEXUS-CA and the WinTV-CI (card reader accessories for the NEXUS):
http://www.hauppauge.nu/pages/produc...digital-c.html

But I've now ended up with a bunch of questions that I hope you can help
me with:

1. Has anybody gotten the NEXUS card to work with Linux/MythTV?

2. Has anybody gotten the card reader accessories to work with
Linux/MythTV?

3. Can I only see digital channels with the NEXUS or is it also
compatible with analog?

4. With the WinTV PVR 500MCE I have two tuners so I can record
one show while watching another. Can that be done with the
digital NEXUS card as well?

- Hope you can answer some of my questions

/thomas
Old September 18th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
John Bailey

"Thomas Watson" wrote in message
. dk...
[...]

There is a link to a user support forum from the Hauppauge website as I
remember. I used it when I was trying to get a Nova-T working. Someone there
who knows how to do what you want to might be more likely to see your
question than posting it here.

John