Jerky pictures.

Old September 12th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Bacon

Default Jerky pictures.

I've a Thomson DH4000. I live in an area where Freeview is
not available according to the post-code checker. However,
I can get it. Any idea what figures I should get for the
signal strength/quality to get a reasonable picture?

Watching BBC1 (last night of the Proms.) the picture was
jerky. Disconnecting the DH4000, and plugging the ariel
directly into the TV (Philips 28PW6518) fixed it.

When I (or rather, the Young Master!) watch Cbeebies,
picture quality is often poor enough to be almost
unwatchable - delays, gaps, words repeated, etc. Is this
likely to be a fault with the DH400, or the signal? Note,
sometimes the picture/sound is fine, sometime's it's awful,
with a "chick-chick" noise as if it's about to switch off!

I have an ariel which looks a bit like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...22523&doy=12m9

but with fewer X shaped bits on the sticky-out thing (about
10 only, I think). Should I get a bigger one such as this
monstrous-looking thing?

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=29

Any help will be much appreciated.
Old September 12th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I've a Thomson DH4000. I live in an area where Freeview is
not available according to the post-code checker. However,
I can get it. Any idea what figures I should get for the
signal strength/quality to get a reasonable picture?

Watching BBC1 (last night of the Proms.) the picture was
jerky. Disconnecting the DH4000, and plugging the ariel
directly into the TV (Philips 28PW6518) fixed it.

When I (or rather, the Young Master!) watch Cbeebies,
picture quality is often poor enough to be almost
unwatchable - delays, gaps, words repeated, etc. Is this
likely to be a fault with the DH400, or the signal? Note,
sometimes the picture/sound is fine, sometime's it's awful,
with a "chick-chick" noise as if it's about to switch off!

it's the signal - not strong enough.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

Old September 12th 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Bacon

the dog from that film you saw wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

I've a Thomson DH4000. I live in an area where Freeview is
not available according to the post-code checker. However,
I can get it. Any idea what figures I should get for the
signal strength/quality to get a reasonable picture?

Watching BBC1 (last night of the Proms.) the picture was
jerky. Disconnecting the DH4000, and plugging the ariel
directly into the TV (Philips 28PW6518) fixed it.

When I (or rather, the Young Master!) watch Cbeebies,
picture quality is often poor enough to be almost
unwatchable - delays, gaps, words repeated, etc. Is this
likely to be a fault with the DH400, or the signal? Note,
sometimes the picture/sound is fine, sometime's it's awful,
with a "chick-chick" noise as if it's about to switch off!

it's the signal - not strong enough.

Thanks for your reply - what about the BBC1 reception thing?
Would another ariel help, do you think? Someone's also
suggested some sort of plug-in (mains) amplifier. Any good?
Old September 12th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

it's the signal - not strong enough.

Thanks for your reply - what about the BBC1 reception thing?
Would another ariel help, do you think? Someone's also
suggested some sort of plug-in (mains) amplifier. Any good?

you need is a professionally fitted aerial - no boosters required but as
you're not officially in the area that may not do the trick even.
reason it worked better after plugging straight into the tv is that the
signal was going straight there instead of being split 2 ways.

boosters can only boost what is there and are better for analogue than
digital.

Old September 12th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Bacon

the dog from that film you saw wrote:
it's the signal - not strong enough.

Thanks for your reply - what about the BBC1 reception thing?
Would another ariel help, do you think? Someone's also
suggested some sort of plug-in (mains) amplifier. Any good?

you need is a professionally fitted aerial

I've got one, but it's only got about 10 "X" things on the
single sticky-out thing - ISTR there were more, but the
fitter didn't fit them. They may be in the attic, but I may
have chucked them out. It cost 150 to put up ~5 years ago.
Are these monster ariels with 3hree S-OTs any good?

- no boosters required but as
you're not officially in the area that may not do the trick even.
reason it worked better after plugging straight into the tv is that the
signal was going straight there instead of being split 2 ways.

Ah! That reminds me, the ariel lead is split into two where
it comes into the attic - one end is just hanging in mid-air,
without even a connector on the end. Might that make a difference?
I will un-plug it when I get home.