best freeview hard disk recorder?

Old September 11th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Damon

Default best freeview hard disk recorder?

Hi, simple question.

I've only just started thinking about getting one.

Ideally I'd like one that has a dual tuner so can record 2 channels while
you watch one back on playback.

Reading round the web it seems that these boxes are quite noisy? So one that
is low on noise would be good.

Pausing live tv would be good.

Good, clear and logical too ...

Also ... I hav read elsewhere that one of the fusion boxes, when updating
the EPG at 3am, can turn the box off and interrupt recordings. Is this a big
issue?

....Damon

--
Blog: http://doyourworst.blogspot.com

Old September 11th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Periproct

Ideally I'd like one that has a dual tuner so can record 2 channels while
you watch one back on playback.

Reading round the web it seems that these boxes are quite noisy? So one

that
is low on noise would be good.

Pausing live tv would be good.

Good, clear and logical too ...

Also ... I hav read elsewhere that one of the fusion boxes, when updating
the EPG at 3am, can turn the box off and interrupt recordings. Is this a

big
issue?

...Damon

http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/ Will give you a good comparison.

I'm a bit biased because I have the Topfield 5800 which in my opinion does
everything you could want. Well worth the extra cost.
My only gripe is the EPG which can be a bit cranky but there are software
applications you can download to the Topfield to 'fix' that.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/ for loads of info.

Nearly forgot. No problem with noise as far as mine is concerned. I did
start blaming it for buzzing every quarter of an hour a while back but
eventually I tracked the buzz down to one of those battery powered air
fresheners. Doh! :-)

Old September 11th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Michael Swift

In article ,
Periproct writes
http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/ Will give you a good comparison.

I'm a bit biased because I have the Topfield 5800 which in my opinion
does everything you could want. Well worth the extra cost. My only gripe
is the EPG which can be a bit cranky but there are software applications
you can download to the Topfield to 'fix' that.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/ for loads of info.

Nearly forgot. No problem with noise as far as mine is concerned. I did
start blaming it for buzzing every quarter of an hour a while back but
eventually I tracked the buzz down to one of those battery powered air
fresheners. Doh! :-)

Many thanks, like the OP I'm toying with the idea of a PVR to replace my
VHS, I can't see the point of a DVD recorder as all I use the VHS for is
to watch 'double booked' programmes, sadly few and far between these
days.

Looking at the listings for Freeview there seems little to make me rush
out and pay 60 for one but if it's built into a PVR then it's a bonus.

The reviews I've found on the web seem to confirm the Topfield as the
machine to have, I've had a good amount of overtime this month and
subject to any negative replies here I think I'll invest in one.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old September 12th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Michael Chare

"Michael Swift" wrote in message
Periproct writes
[...]

Just be aware that software/firmware in the Topfield likely still has some bugs
even with the Sept 9 update.

Hopefully the fact that there is a very active user group on www.toppy.org.uk
will lead to a resolution of the problems.

I have owned one for just over a week now. On the whole I like it. It can make
perfect recodings. SWMBO also likes it since I showed her that it could record
programmes she wanted to watch! I have never owned a VCR or DVD player/recorder,
no seen another PVR so it is hard for me to make comparisons.

From what I have learnt your need good reception quality. My Pioneer STB thinks
I get 100% quality on all 6 muxes. The Toppy reports this as 96-99%, but is a
few % more optimistic about the signal strength, which on the Pioneer is mostly
shown as 45-65%

--

Michael Chare

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Old September 12th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Munch

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:29:49 +0100, Michael Swift
wrote:

If you can wait a bit longer and price is important, then I would wait
until the Humax PVR9200T is out (supposed to be this month).
Obviously nobody can say if it's good or not yet though!
--
Munch
Old September 13th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"r_mervart" wrote in message

So do all digital broadcasts have stereo sound and
how is this handled by standard freeview boxes?
Roman

depends on the programme - not everything will be stereo.
the standard boxes output stereo sound as standard over scart.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

Old September 13th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 11/09/2005, Michael Swift wrote in message
:

The reviews I've found on the web seem to confirm the Topfield as the
machine to have, I've had a good amount of overtime this month and
subject to any negative replies here I think I'll invest in one.

It is almost definite that the Topfield is the best PVR out there.
It's definitely definite that it's the most expensive. So what you're
trying to do is work out whether the extra features are worth the
extra money.

The great advantage of the Toppy, as far as I'm concerned, is the USB2
socket. You can transfer recordings to a computer and archive them
onto a data DVD or watch them on the laptop display. And since the
recordings are taken directly from the digital feed, they're of the
same quality as watching the programme live.

The Toppy has other features (including the fact that you can
program it in C) that other people like, but the most important point
is that just like every other PVR out there it does occasionally miss
recordings. PVRs are not a solved problem in the UK: not a single
design works all the time. The Toppy is about average in how much I
trust it to get all recordings.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.