PVR/PC Problem

Old August 19th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
David Paul Morgan

Default PVR/PC Problem

I have an Advent PC, bought in PC World some time ago. (Managers special).
It seems to have Windows Media Edition XP on it. Also a 5.1 surround card
etc.
It also came with a remote control, which does not operate anything.
I put an XTNDAccess I/R 'eye' onto com1 and that works for beaming files
to/from PDA's and PCs, but the remote control does nothing. The manual is
not too helpful - should there be another component which can beam commands
to a cable/satellite receiver and understand TV remote controllers?

TIA David

Old August 20th 05, 07:09 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

David Paul Morgan wrote:

The manual is
not too helpful - should there be another component which can beam commands
to a cable/satellite receiver and understand TV remote controllers?

It sounds as though you are missing at least an infra-red sensor.
Possibly a USB one. You may also be missing an infra-red transmitter
for controlling a sat/Freeview box though this isn't always an
included function.

Your PC should also have one or more of the following:
a video capture card/socket, a TV tuner card, a sat tuner card, a DTT
(Freeview) TV tuner card or indeed external USB versions of those. I'm
surprised that you haven't found an extensive user-guide somewhere on
the hard drive.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/7rm2m
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC reception questions? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
Fed up with on-screen logos? : http://logofreetv.org/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old August 20th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
David Paul Morgan

It sounds as though you are missing at least an infra-red sensor.
Possibly a USB one. You may also be missing an infra-red transmitter
for controlling a sat/Freeview box though this isn't always an
included function.

Thanks for that - yes, there's an Advent manual in a different 'my
documents' folder which lists what should have come with it. the unis
(mc3020) has a tuner, 5.1 surround etc, but seems to be missing the two-way
TV/remote 'eye'. I will see if I can get one as a spare part.
Cheers, David