If no digital reception - is a PVR EPG still available or not?

Old May 1st 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Trouty

Default If no digital reception - is a PVR EPG still available or not?

Hi there,

My mum lives in the sticks & can't get Freeview reception.

She'd like to buy a PVR...one of the big bonuses being the EPG & not
having the faff for setting up future recordings.

My worry is though will she be able to get an EPG on a PVR if she can't
receive digital TV? (forgive the naive line of questioning but I have
Sky+ & have never had to wrap my head around this)

The two boxes she was thinking about are the Inverto IDL7000T or the
Fusion Digital FVRT200....would she be able to get the EPG on these if
she's still on analogue?

Grateful for any comments.

Old May 1st 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Andrew

On 1 May 2005 10:01:54 -0700, "Trouty"
wrote:

The two boxes she was thinking about are the Inverto IDL7000T or the
Fusion Digital FVRT200....would she be able to get the EPG on these if
she's still on analogue?

If she can't get Freeview, what would she record even if she could get
the EPG, which she probably won't be able to?
Old May 1st 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"Trouty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

My mum lives in the sticks & can't get Freeview reception.

She'd like to buy a PVR...one of the big bonuses being the EPG & not
having the faff for setting up future recordings.

My worry is though will she be able to get an EPG on a PVR if she can't
receive digital TV? (forgive the naive line of questioning but I have
Sky+ & have never had to wrap my head around this)

The two boxes she was thinking about are the Inverto IDL7000T or the
Fusion Digital FVRT200....would she be able to get the EPG on these if
she's still on analogue?

Grateful for any comments.

those items ARE digital are they not? - so no digital equals a lump of
useless plastic and electronics.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

Old May 1st 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Trouty

Forgive my ignorance...but I thought the fusion at least could take an
analogue signal in & give the user functionality such as live
pause...are we saying that those two boxes are exclusively digital?

Are there *any* hard disk recorders that work with a standard old
fashioned analogue TV signal as an input?

Old May 1st 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On 1 May 2005 10:39:55 -0700, "Trouty"
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance...but I thought the fusion at least could take an
analogue signal in & give the user functionality such as live
pause...are we saying that those two boxes are exclusively digital?

Are there *any* hard disk recorders that work with a standard old
fashioned analogue TV signal as an input?

Tivo would be your best (not made in the UK anymore but you should be
able to find one on Ebay)
Old May 1st 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the dog from that film you saw

"Trouty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Forgive my ignorance...but I thought the fusion at least could take an
analogue signal in & give the user functionality such as live
pause...are we saying that those two boxes are exclusively digital?

Are there *any* hard disk recorders that work with a standard old
fashioned analogue TV signal as an input?

tivo does - if you can find one, and swallow the program guide cost.

Old May 1st 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Newsmaster

In article . com,
Trouty wrote:

[..]
Are there *any* hard disk recorders that work with a standard old
fashioned analogue TV signal as an input?

Yes. Not far short of all them, (including plain old DVD
recorders without the hard-drive)..

Have a look at anything Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC (which also
use DVD-RAM which is similar in operation to a hard drive),
as well as useful products from Sony, Pioneer and Philips,
et al.

PVRs do not not necessarily need, (nor use), a digital input
- although all will be quite happy with one when sourced through
a digital STB.

PVRs with on board hard drives being used as replacements for
the old VTRs record digitally to the hard drive (or DVD-RAM or
DVD+/-RW - having translatedthe analoggue signal in situ.

They will then provide a digital recording which you can then
manipulate to your heart's content, depending on the facilities
on offer within the particular machine - which may be archived
to and from tape - or to and from DVDRs

The EPGs that they use are taken, (usually from Text), through
and using things like Showview, PDC et al as happens in many
present 'ordinary' VHS recorders. They often offer more advanced
facilities such as a library of your recordings, including an
immediate selection without running through unwanted reams etc.

Apart from not being able to receive the many digital channels
on offer, HD PVRs are very useful and, at their simplest level,
far easier to use than their older VTR brethren. You can always
add digital TV to them through an STB when it becomes available.

Go for it. Your Mother will probably appreciate it. She may
even take up video-editing of all your 'baby' photographs and
tapes.. (as well as having Coronation Street to the gills).. )

The only PVR that might find it impossible to adapt to an
analogue signal is a PVR that is primarily for a digital setup,
such as the Fusion, Pace (good if you can get it) and so on.
Nothing wrong with that - after all, they are the future when
analogue is no longer with us.

However, for the moment and as said, have a look at any of the
DVD-HD Recorders, (which are PVRs), using present analogue inputs.
The Pannys seem to be very easy to use - Toshiba if you want
something a little more.. errrmm.. 'toyful'. All, however, will
offer excellent piccies and decent sound - and usually can have
anything hung onto them, or will hang happilh onto anything
that you might wish to add into the loop.

hh

Bill ZFC

However, for the moment,

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old May 1st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Michael Porter

Trouty wrote:

Forgive my ignorance...but I thought the fusion at least could take an
analogue signal in & give the user functionality such as live
pause...are we saying that those two boxes are exclusively digital?

Are there *any* hard disk recorders that work with a standard old
fashioned analogue TV signal as an input?

I think you'll find that the hard disk/DVD recorder combos such as the
Panasonic range operate from a terrestrial analogue signal but they
won't access an EPG, recording times will have to be input via Videoplus.
Old May 2nd 05, 04:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Trouty wrote:

My worry is though will she be able to get an EPG on a PVR if she can't
receive digital TV?

She needs either a Tivo or a Philips DVDR with GuidePlus. Both of
these have a full EPG for non-digital channels.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/6u4p9
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old May 5th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Fergus Doyle

Jomtien wrote:
She needs either a Tivo or a Philips DVDR with GuidePlus. Both of
these have a full EPG for non-digital channels.

Where can you buy a tivo from? I couldn't find anywhere.

Thanks a mil'

Fergus