Pace - zero length recording

Old June 8th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

Default Pace - zero length recording

Generally my Pace Twin has been Ok, but had set it to record the bbc
breakfast programme this morning (for Venus) and then a 5 minute programme
at 09.50. Came home today to find Pace box stuck in recording mode (red
light on) but unit wouldn't switch on. Had to pull the plug to reset.

5 minute programme only shows zero length recording - power disconnection
(yes, about 8 hours later!) and breakfast programme has quite jerky
playback.

Generally everything has been Ok with my Pace but did apply the weekend
upgrade. After reset apart from jerky programme, appears to function as
normal and disc checks Ok.

This is just for info if anyone else sees any problems.

Old June 9th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Richard

I've had the same problem , only since applying the new software. And even
if you let it record for 10+ hours it still does not stop.

Old June 10th 04, 05:25 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"Richard" wrote in message
I've had the same problem , only since applying the new software. And even
if you let it record for 10+ hours it still does not stop.

Yep...I've since found in the Digital Spy forums that this is being widely
reported. Pace have screwed up yet again with new software that has
introduced new bugs and not even cured all the old. I really want to like
this machine and when it works properly it is great, but others are now out
there and to be honest I'm irritated that Pace are so slow and couldn't give
a stuff. I'll never buy Pace again because I'd never trust 'em.

Old June 10th 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 08/06/2004, Brownie wrote in message :

Generally my Pace Twin has been Ok, but had set it to record the bbc
breakfast programme this morning (for Venus) and then a 5 minute
programme at 09.50. Came home today to find Pace box stuck in recording
mode (red light on) but unit wouldn't switch on. Had to pull the plug
to reset.

That's typical if the box locked up while recording. You end up with
a zero-length recording which the box says is unplayable. I used to
get tons of these but a software update earlier this year cut them
down to one every couple of months.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.
Old June 10th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stuart Bell

Brownie wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
I've had the same problem , only since applying the new software. And even
if you let it record for 10+ hours it still does not stop.

Yep...I've since found in the Digital Spy forums that this is being widely
reported.

Is the bug repeatable - are there some recording lengths that work and
some that don't? I just want to avoid getting hit by it!

Stuart
--
Try stuartsmacs at dsl dot pipex dot com to email me.
The writing of Sarah Kent plumbs new depths in Shark
Old June 10th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Richard

I've not been able to pin it down to anything specific, as it happened with
the now & next feature which I have used since without a problem.

I think the only way PACE may start to listen is if we all start to return
then on the basis that Pace acknowledged problems with the box from day one
and we have given them amble opportunity to resolve the problem and have
not, therefore under the sale of goods act we are within our rights to a
refund (assuming you have complained to pace or your retailer within a
reasonable period).

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
news:1gf6a72.ioae06ws72ahN%[email protected] tterspam.com...

Old June 12th 04, 02:10 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"Simon Slavin" . uk wrote
in message ...
On 08/06/2004, Brownie wrote in message :

Generally my Pace Twin has been Ok, but had set it to record the bbc
breakfast programme this morning (for Venus) and then a 5 minute
programme at 09.50. Came home today to find Pace box stuck in recording
mode (red light on) but unit wouldn't switch on. Had to pull the plug
to reset.

That's typical if the box locked up while recording. You end up with
a zero-length recording which the box says is unplayable. I used to
get tons of these but a software update earlier this year cut them
down to one every couple of months.

Simon, yes, I've applied all the updates but this has come back in the new
software update last weekend. This is better discussed on the forums such
as Digital Spy where you can see Pace have re-introduced this randomly
occurring feature. It happened to me within hours of the update and others
are reporting it now.

The bug is basically random but occurs if the box records out of standby.
The way around it seems to be to leave the box switched on all the time
again.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...8&page=1&pp=25