Pace Software Update Failed

Old June 5th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
dylan30

Default Pace Software Update Failed

I have had my Pace PVR 2mths and this is the first update.
Its Failed !!!! reporting the message bad. I called there support who said
It was a compatibility issue and I have to have it updated manually. They
have given me a number and they will send some one out.

I am not impressed.. I would have thought a newish box would have been
compatible... I now have to go through the hassle of being in when some one
calls to take it way and bring it back.

Well done pace !!!!

Adam

---

Old June 5th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"dylan30" wrote in message
I have had my Pace PVR 2mths and this is the first update.
Its Failed !!!! reporting the message bad. I called there support who said
It was a compatibility issue and I have to have it updated manually. They
have given me a number and they will send some one out.

I am not impressed.. I would have thought a newish box would have been
compatible... I now have to go through the hassle of being in when some

one
calls to take it way and bring it back.

Well done pace !!!!

Have you tried several times. Some people have to try over and over but it
often works eventually. Last time mine took around 6 attempts. This time
it did it flawlessly first time this morning. May be a signal or
interference issue either via aerial or your mains.

Old June 5th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Martin White

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:44:37 +0100, "dylan30"
wrote:

I have had my Pace PVR 2mths and this is the first update.
Its Failed !!!! reporting the message bad. I called there support who said
It was a compatibility issue and I have to have it updated manually. They
have given me a number and they will send some one out.

I am not impressed.. I would have thought a newish box would have been
compatible... I now have to go through the hassle of being in when some one
calls to take it way and bring it back.

Well done pace !!!!

Worked fine here. Had my box since January. It's the 2nd ugrade that
the box has been through, no problems with either update.

The update seems to have included changes for the multiday EPG. But at
present I'm still only getting now and next displayed.

Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old June 6th 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 05/06/2004, Martin White wrote in message
:

The update seems to have included changes for the multiday EPG. But at
present I'm still only getting now and next displayed.

The update does not change the things that will be displayed,
it just displays them in a nicer format. If the multiday EPG
isn't yet being transmitted in your area then you'll just have
to wait a bit longer. At the moment it's only in Wales and
some of London.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.
Old June 6th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stuart Bell

Simon Slavin . uk
wrote:

The update does not change the things that will be displayed,
it just displays them in a nicer format.

It also seems that the EPG updates faster?

Stuart
--
Try stuartsmacs at dsl dot pipex dot com to email me.
The writing of Sarah Kent plumbs new depths in Shark
Old June 6th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
dylan30

Tried several times. It downloads okay
it seems to be the install. I will just have to get it update manually. And
fingers crossed for next time.

adam

Old June 6th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave

wrote:

I have had my Pace PVR 2mths and this is the first update.
Its Failed !!!! reporting the message bad. I called there support who said
It was a compatibility issue and I have to have it updated manually. They
have given me a number and they will send some one out.

My box is a similar age and had similar problems...

Tried the update many many times from AM Saturday morning... it got
so far then "Bad" time and time again.

Eventually a couple of hours ago on Sunday afternoon the update
worked, dread to think how many times we have tried to update over the
weekend.

I suspect we had tried the update more than 20 times before it worked

I am not impressed.. I would have thought a newish box would have been
compatible... I now have to go through the hassle of being in when some one
calls to take it way and bring it back.

Keep trying, it may just work. We were not looking forward to an
engineer coming out to do a simple software update.

Dave
Old June 7th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:15:01 +0000, Martin White wrote:

Worked fine here. Had my box since January. It's the 2nd ugrade that
the box has been through, no problems with either update.

The update seems to have included changes for the multiday EPG. But at
present I'm still only getting now and next displayed.

Nah, it won't, the EPG now/nextness is a function of the transmitted data,
not the box's software. The initial trial was in Wales, the more recent
one is around the London area.

The change that I liked that will affect you though, is the one button
record on the EPG. Lets you tag something fro one-off recording without
having to go through the schedule screen and set the repat to "once" etc.
A small feature, but one that made me thank Bob.

Actually, my major wish, a skip fwd/bwd one day feature, has been added.
Also, a "now" mark on the timeline for the EPG, as well as a "jump to now"
type feature. Makes navigating a lot eaiser, and the box seems less laggy
while crunching all that fresh schedule data.

I know that's probably scant consolation for you outside the trial area,
but at least you'll get it with some of the more heinous bugs worked out...

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]

Old June 7th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:20:30 +0100, Stuart Bell wrote:

Simon Slavin . uk
wrote:

The update does not change the things that will be displayed,
it just displays them in a nicer format.

It also seems that the EPG updates faster?

Looked that way to my untrained eye, and the whole thing is less bogged
down while updating, eg, the interface doesn't go all "laggy".

Old June 7th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:02:58 +0100, dylan30 wrote:

Tried several times. It downloads okay
it seems to be the install. I will just have to get it update manually. And
fingers crossed for next time.

Mine stopped the first time, right at the end of the download, I just
cancelled, and let the box flag it up on-screen, and when it repeated it
worked ok. I did make sure that I was getting a BBC channel through
with 80+ strength first though.. not sure if that has any bearing (at
least, the uncorrected error rate might be a clue).