Recommended kit?

Old June 2nd 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
David Glover

Default Recommended kit?

I am about to buy a new PC with the intention of turning it into a networked
TV server. My needs a

Either:
1. Connectable to a freeview box (already own), and capable of changing
channels on said box.

Or:
2. A built in DVB-T receiver, probably on a PCI card, I guess.

And also the ability to:
* Schedule recordings to disk.
* Stream live TV, and said recordings, across a LAN to PCs and Macs.
* Change channels from remote computers.

Can anyone recommend some hardware and software?

Old June 9th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
MG

Hi there David. I am currently starting to go through the same process! I've
just bought a PVR-350 (Hauppauge card), and using it within Windows, which
works a treat with the default software that comes with!

To control the Freeview box from the PC, u'll need an IR transmitter
probably (depending on the box you've got). I have tried to make my own, and
will be doing so again!

The ideal software to use would be MythTV for Linux! I am also going to be
trying sage, and joveplayer for windows, before trying Linux again (the
drivers are getting there, but not quite there yet!)

I have used Hauppauges PVR-350 with their software (only got the card 2 days
ago), on a 800Mhz Athlon with 256MB RAM, and recorded absolutely fine, and
paused live TV great! Quality is AWESOME! Definately go for the 250 or 350
if you're gonna pull in an external source! If you haven't been there
already, try this site out for some tips, and let me know how u get on!

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/index.php

Martin G )

.. .