DIY PC-based alternative to Sky Plus?

Old May 30th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Gary

Default DIY PC-based alternative to Sky Plus?

Hi all,

Having read a bit about DIY PVR projects like Mythtv and Freevo I'm
interested in having a go myself.

Is there anyone out there that has built an equivalent to Sky plus
system?

That is, a PVR that will record one channel whilst watching another,
uses a similar on screen selectable EPG etc.

If you have, what software/hardware did you base it on? How does it
compare in ease of use to sky plus systems.

Any info would be great that would help get me started.

Cheers
Gary
Old May 31st 04, 06:16 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Gary wrote:

Is there anyone out there that has built an equivalent to Sky plus
system?

That is, a PVR that will record one channel whilst watching another,
uses a similar on screen selectable EPG etc.

You would need two digiboxes to do this. To record encrypted channels
you would also need a second card.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/yvnsy
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old June 20th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Microwave

Jomtien wrote in message . ..
Gary wrote:

Is there anyone out there that has built an equivalent to Sky plus
system?

That is, a PVR that will record one channel whilst watching another,
uses a similar on screen selectable EPG etc.

You would need two digiboxes to do this. To record encrypted channels
you would also need a second card.

Don't you need a dual-LNB dish as well?
Old June 20th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Microwave

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

Having read a bit about DIY PVR projects like Mythtv and Freevo I'm
interested in having a go myself.

Is there anyone out there that has built an equivalent to Sky plus
system?

That is, a PVR that will record one channel whilst watching another,
uses a similar on screen selectable EPG etc.

If you have, what software/hardware did you base it on? How does it
compare in ease of use to sky plus systems.

Any info would be great that would help get me started.

I'm wondering if you couldn't do it with a dual-LNB, one digibox, and
a hauppage nova-s, if you can get the deocoder module...

The WinTV DVB-s is designed for receiving, decoding and displaying
Digital Satellite Broadcasts on a standard Personal Computer. Used
with a modem, it can facilitate connection to a satellite ISP
(Internet Service Provider) to achieve high-speed data services. The
WinTV DVB-s product can receive Free-to-View channels without the need
for any specialized additional equipment. However, to receive
'subscriber' or 'pay per view' channels, an optional module (Common
Interface Module) will be required, together with a decryption card,
available, for a fee, from the provider of these channels.
Old June 21st 04, 06:19 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Microwave wrote:

Don't you need a dual-LNB dish as well?

Yes.

Old June 21st 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stephen Neal

"Microwave" wrote in message
om...
(Gary) wrote in message

[...]

Unfortunately Sky Digital use an encryption system called VideoGuard. There
are no Conditional Access Modules that are compatible with the Sky version
(there have been sightings of VideoGuard modules for Cable apparently) and
so even if you get a satellite card with a CI slot you wouldn't have a Sky
compatible CAM to put in it! Sky want to retain complete control over the
receiver, EPG, encryption, digital text etc. - and do this by ensuring that
the only reception platform is Sky-branded receivers - which they have
complete control of...

Of course if you want more European channels then CAMs and subscription
cards for their digital TV systems ARE available.

Steve

Old July 2nd 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Microwave

"Stephen Neal" wrote in message n
Unfortunately Sky Digital use an encryption system called VideoGuard. There
are no Conditional Access Modules that are compatible with the Sky version
(there have been sightings of VideoGuard modules for Cable apparently) and
so even if you get a satellite card with a CI slot you wouldn't have a Sky
compatible CAM to put in it! Sky want to retain complete control over the
receiver, EPG, encryption, digital text etc. - and do this by ensuring that
the only reception platform is Sky-branded receivers - which they have
complete control of...

Of course if you want more European channels then CAMs and subscription
cards for their digital TV systems ARE available.

Steve

Well, the free-to-air selection is actually fairly good, and I think I
would enjoy some European channels, personally. Presumably these
VideoGuard CAMs are something that cannot be hacked out of a Pace Sky
receiver and into a pci card with a decent soldering iron? I seem to
remember reading something about the cards being able to accept CAMs.
Old July 2nd 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Microwave

"Stephen Neal" wrote in message n
Unfortunately Sky Digital use an encryption system called VideoGuard. There
are no Conditional Access Modules that are compatible with the Sky version
(there have been sightings of VideoGuard modules for Cable apparently) and
so even if you get a satellite card with a CI slot you wouldn't have a Sky
compatible CAM to put in it! Sky want to retain complete control over the
receiver, EPG, encryption, digital text etc. - and do this by ensuring that
the only reception platform is Sky-branded receivers - which they have
complete control of...

Of course if you want more European channels then CAMs and subscription
cards for their digital TV systems ARE available.

Steve

I've managed to partially answer my question:
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/dvb_s.htm

Support for a number of CAMs, but not the VideoGuard. But if it did
support the VideoGuard I doubt Hauppage would be mentioning it on
their site -- I suspect Sky would come down quite hard, lawyers
'ablazin'. I probably would never do this myself, but you have to
wonder if there aren't Sky CAMs if you had purveyors in low places....