Series Link...

Old May 12th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Tom

Default Series Link...

I am about to move out of my parents house (with Sky+) into a new apartment
with communal sky dish.

I can't get sky+ because it only has 1 feed, and secondly i dont want to pay
30 a month just for the sky+ features.

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.
However, the main feature of Sky+ is the series link - once set to record, I
hardly ever programme it to record anything else.

Do any of the PVRs have this, or is this what the 7-day EPG is that I keep
reading about?

Old May 13th 04, 07:32 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

Tom wrote:

I am about to move out of my parents house (with Sky+) into a new apartment
with communal sky dish.

I can't get sky+ because it only has 1 feed, and secondly i dont want to pay
30 a month just for the sky+ features.

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.
However, the main feature of Sky+ is the series link - once set to record, I
hardly ever programme it to record anything else.

Do any of the PVRs have this, or is this what the 7-day EPG is that I keep
reading about?

Get a tivo of ebay or http://www.tivoland.com It's the only true PVR
with an excellent EPG (14 days worth)
Old May 13th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:32:02 +0100, Phil
wrote:

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.

Get a tivo of ebay or http://www.tivoland.com It's the only true PVR
with an excellent EPG (14 days worth)

But it has neither a twin tuner nor integrated freeview so it doesn't
meet the OP's requirements.
Old May 13th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:51:46 +0100, K wrote:

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.

Get a tivo of ebay or http://www.tivoland.com It's the only true PVR
with an excellent EPG (14 days worth)

But it has neither a twin tuner nor integrated freeview so it doesn't
meet the OP's requirements.

The earnest psuedoscience and inability to cast off blinkers of the louder
tivo crazies has actually put me off buying a tivo now. I know all about
the advantages, having lived with one for a year or two, but the screaming
advocates remind me too much of the crazies who used to frequent the dying
amiga scene, and to some extent, some of the more foaming mac crazies now.

It's very hard to enjoy hacking a platform where the "community" is so
polarised and dogmatic that all dissention is samisdat, and flamage
seems a valid replacement for erudition. Probably why a more general
newsgroup like this is more useful, since there's more than one orthodoxy
on offer.

People need to realise that everything sucks, I suspect.

(And spending most of my day surrounded by engineers, mathematicians and
programmers with world class video and image processing skills, I get to
sanity check some of the wilder claims made, and it does make me giggle)

Aaanyway, I didn't mean to bitch about the crazy advocate kiddies, I
really just meant to say that I read your remark as "Doesn't meet the
OAP's requirements", and thought "hey, steady on there!". Sorry for the
rest of the ramble

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]

Old May 13th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

wrote:

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.

Get a tivo of ebay or http://www.tivoland.com It's the only true PVR
with an excellent EPG (14 days worth)

But it has neither a twin tuner nor integrated freeview so it doesn't
meet the OP's requirements.

But none of the twin tuner/freeview boxes have anything like true PVR
functionality such as season passes, suggestions, being able to view
programs by catagory etc,and therefore don't meet the OP's requirements.

Best solution is Tivo + 2 freeview boxes
Old May 13th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:50:39 +0100, Phil wrote:

But it has neither a twin tuner nor integrated freeview so it doesn't
meet the OP's requirements.

But none of the twin tuner/freeview boxes have anything like true PVR
functionality such as season passes, suggestions, being able to view
programs by catagory etc,and therefore don't meet the OP's requirements.

Best solution is Tivo + 2 freeview boxes

Au contraire, networked mythTV nodes would be far more effective, and
offer much higher picture quality. However, non-functional specs come into
it, such as how much work is involved to get the thing flying.

Old May 13th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

wrote:

A pvr seems sensible but want a twin tuner with integrated freeview.

Get a tivo of ebay or http://www.tivoland.com It's the only true PVR
with an excellent EPG (14 days worth)

But it has neither a twin tuner nor integrated freeview so it doesn't
meet the OP's requirements.

But none of the twin tuner/freeview boxes have anything like true PVR
functionality such as season passes, suggestions, being able to view
programs by catagory etc,and therefore don't meet the OP's requirements.

Then answering the OP's questions, which asked whether the Freeview
boxes had those features, would have been more logical instead of
plugging another box which doesn't meet requirements. TiVo is not the
anwser to everything, no matter how much its advocates rave.

Best solution is Tivo + 2 freeview boxes

Can TiVo control two Freeview boxes? Indeed, can two of them even be
used in the same room at the same time, or will they both respond to the
same remote signals? Plus it's a lot more hassle and wiring (three
mains sockets, more cables, etc.). More expensive. More space.

Chris C