Nebula based PVR - Viewing video on a TV?

Old May 9th 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul in Scotland

Default Nebula based PVR - Viewing video on a TV?

I am thinking of building a PVR based on a Nebula TV card. My problem is
how best to be able to view video's on a TV.

I had looked at the Haupauge 350 PVR which offers tv out, but their software
is absolute crap, and it's still got an analoge tuner. Also looked at their
stand alone Media device, but it will only play mpeg files - no avi etc.

I purchased a Matrox 400 based card that offered TV out - but it only
displays whats on the computer screen, meaning I can't use the computer and
watch a video on the TV at the same time.

Any ideas?

Paul

Old May 9th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ted Rogers

"Paul in Scotland" wrote in message
I am thinking of building a PVR based on a Nebula TV card. My problem is
how best to be able to view video's on a TV.

I had looked at the Haupauge 350 PVR which offers tv out, but their

software
is absolute crap, and it's still got an analoge tuner. Also looked at

their
stand alone Media device, but it will only play mpeg files - no avi etc.

I purchased a Matrox 400 based card that offered TV out - but it only
displays whats on the computer screen, meaning I can't use the computer

and
watch a video on the TV at the same time.

Any ideas?

Paul

Paul

I bought a Pinnacle Showcenter a few weeks ago and its really good (does
need a LAN or WiFi connection though) but it streams most content from your
machine to the TV and converts the stuff in the background if not
compatible.

I got mine in PC World for 199 but you may be able to get it cheaper
online. Here's the direct link for more info.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category...._id=2&Family=0

HTH

Ted

Old May 15th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stephen Neal

"Ted Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

If you want MPEG2 (and MP3 audio) but not MPEG4 then look at the Hauppauge
MVP. I think Ebuyer have it at 60GBP this weekend?

(It has SCART RGB outputs, an IR remote control, wired ethernet input, and
there is quite a community supporting it)

Also worth looking at the Xbox Media Center (sic) which copes with almost
every video and audio format going - but doesn't currently replay interlaced
MPEG2 as clean interlaced material (like a PC it de-interlaces and
re-interlaces) For this you need an Xbox (modified in software or hardware
to allow non-MS software to be run on it) and an IR remote control (such as
the MS DVD playback kit)

Steve

Old May 17th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul in Scotland

If you want MPEG2 (and MP3 audio) but not MPEG4 then look at the Hauppauge
MVP. I think Ebuyer have it at 60GBP this weekend?

Thanks for all the advice. Had a look at the ShowCentre but it was just too
expensive for my tastes. The Haupauge MVP looks good, but I'm scared of
Hauppauges dodgy software. Cheepest I could find the MVP was 85 quid.

Think I am going to wait untill Haupauge bring out a PVR 350 with integrated
digital tuner (PVR 450???)

Cheers

Paul

Old May 18th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:34:39 +0000, Paul in Scotland wrote:

If you want MPEG2 (and MP3 audio) but not MPEG4 then look at the Hauppauge
MVP. I think Ebuyer have it at 60GBP this weekend?

Thanks for all the advice. Had a look at the ShowCentre but it was just too
expensive for my tastes. The Haupauge MVP looks good, but I'm scared of
Hauppauges dodgy software. Cheepest I could find the MVP was 85 quid.

Think I am going to wait untill Haupauge bring out a PVR 350 with integrated
digital tuner (PVR 450???)

It's annoying, their hardware is cheap, works really nicely, and has
excellent third-party developer support (linux anyone?) but the software
they ship is utter cr*p. Under linux, I've found their cards a joy to
use.. but I've had to remove the software from the windows side, as it's
just a big shuddering heap of bugs.

*sigh*

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.