Which FreeView STB to use with TiVo?

Old April 27th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Neil Jowsey

Default Which FreeView STB to use with TiVo?

Hiya,

Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a TiVo and intend
to use this with a second (dedicated to TiVo) FreeView STB. This gives me the
ability to watch one FreeView channel while recording another. I'm looking for an ex
ON-digital box as they are cheap and give me the chance to subscribe to top-up TV.
I've seen the ones that are TiVo compatible here.... http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but
which make of box would people recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and
reliable when used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

Neil
Old April 27th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

Neil Jowsey wrote:

Hiya,

Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a TiVo and intend
to use this with a second (dedicated to TiVo) FreeView STB. This gives me the
ability to watch one FreeView channel while recording another. I'm looking for an ex
ON-digital box as they are cheap and give me the chance to subscribe to top-up TV.
I've seen the ones that are TiVo compatible here.... http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but
which make of box would people recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and
reliable when used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

Neil

checkout this thread from the tivocommunity

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=127932
Old April 27th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:14:36 +0000, Neil Jowsey wrote:

Hiya,

Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a TiVo and intend
to use this with a second (dedicated to TiVo) FreeView STB. This gives me the
ability to watch one FreeView channel while recording another. I'm looking for an ex
ON-digital box as they are cheap and give me the chance to subscribe to top-up TV.
I've seen the ones that are TiVo compatible here.... http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but
which make of box would people recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and
reliable when used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

Avoid the little mincy Pace things shaped like a kidney. Not only do they
not have a card slot, but the way the RF, SCART and power all go down
roughly the same lead means the design is an RF disaster, and reception
can suck, even a couple of miles from the Crystal Palace mast...

(When I bought a Twin, my reception became about ONE MEELION
times better

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]

Old April 27th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
simtan

Ancipital wrote:

Avoid the little mincy Pace things shaped like a kidney. Not only do
they not have a card slot, but the way the RF, SCART and power all go
down roughly the same lead means the design is an RF disaster, and
reception can suck, even a couple of miles from the Crystal Palace
mast...

(When I bought a Twin, my reception became about ONE MEELION
times better

Horses for courses My little Pace is tucked out of sight feeding the
TiVo, I don't use analogue and my digital signal is strong enough for the
Pace. Works a treat! The Pace DTVA is certainly not as sensitive as my
brother Daewoo SetPal.

sim

Old April 27th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
simtan

Ancipital wrote:

Avoid the little mincy Pace things shaped like a kidney. Not only do
they not have a card slot, but the way the RF, SCART and power all go
down roughly the same lead means the design is an RF disaster, and
reception can suck, even a couple of miles from the Crystal Palace

Also the Pace does have a card slot underneath, should be upgraded soon to
work with TUTV.

Sim

Old April 27th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Terry Eden

Neil Jowsey wrote:
Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a
TiVo

Mind if I ask where you got it from and how much?

http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but which make of box would people
recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and reliable when
used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

Daewoo SetPal. Brilliant reception, small and works flawlessly.

You might have to change its default settings though... it looks for new
updates at 2AM - which can be disasterous if you're recording the Oscars :-)

Terry

small disclaimer - speaking for myself, not my employer.

Old April 27th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
James Hart

Neil Jowsey wrote:
Hiya,

Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a
TiVo and intend to use this with a second (dedicated to TiVo)
FreeView STB. This gives me the ability to watch one FreeView channel
while recording another. I'm looking for an ex ON-digital box as they
are cheap and give me the chance to subscribe to top-up TV. I've seen
the ones that are TiVo compatible here....
http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but which make of box would people
recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and reliable when
used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

I've got a Matsui IDTV, an old ex-OnDigital Philips and a Daewoo 608P and
the Daewoo is the best by far so it's the one I use with the Tivo. It's
pretty much a slave to the tivo, I never watch anything direct from it and
it's put up sterling service so far. There have only been about 3 times in
the last year that that setup has caused any problems, each time the Tivo
reporting no channel change when there has been for some strange reason, and
I'm not entirely sure they were totally down to the boxes as there are a few
local issues here when it comes to DTT (mainly next door's electric
lawnmower).
I did try the front IR blaster originally but with both units sitting on
different shelves under the telly I had problems with the channel changes
being picked up when the lounge light was on so I now use the dedicated wand
thingy and have a sheet of paper acting as a hood to block stray signals
from causing problems.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old April 28th 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

Terry Eden wrote:
Neil Jowsey wrote:

Following the recommendations posted to this group I've purchased a
TiVo

Mind if I ask where you got it from and how much?

http://www.tivoportal.co.uk but which make of box would people
recommend? I'm looking for good picture quality and reliable when
used with TiVo. Are there any I should avoid?

Daewoo SetPal. Brilliant reception, small and works flawlessly.

You might have to change its default settings though... it looks for new
updates at 2AM - which can be disasterous if you're recording the Oscars :-)

Terry

about the only places you can get a Tivo from now are ebay or
http://www.tivoland.com

Check out this thread
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...pagen umber=1

it discusses tivoland.com and their service. Price is approx 250 for a
standard Tivo, approx 350 for a 120Gb version.
Old April 28th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:58:26 +0100, simtan wrote:

Ancipital wrote:

Avoid the little mincy Pace things shaped like a kidney. Not only do
they not have a card slot, but the way the RF, SCART and power all go
down roughly the same lead means the design is an RF disaster, and
reception can suck, even a couple of miles from the Crystal Palace

Also the Pace does have a card slot underneath, should be upgraded soon to
work with TUTV.

It's sim-sized, not credit-card sized like the one on on-digital or
pace twin boxes.

Old April 28th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:57:16 +0100, simtan wrote:

Horses for courses My little Pace is tucked out of sight feeding the
TiVo, I don't use analogue and my digital signal is strong enough for the
Pace. Works a treat! The Pace DTVA is certainly not as sensitive as my
brother Daewoo SetPal.

No, the setpal chipset is faster, too, famously. However, the RF design of
the kidney pace is deficient, it's not a matter of opinion. Ask someone
who designs antennas for a living, and you'll see what I mean.