Help please: connecting up all those boxes

Old April 18th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve Hill

Default Help please: connecting up all those boxes

Hi, firstly apologies for cross-posting - I didn't know the correct forum for
my question.

Basically, I want to know the best way to connect up my four 'visual' boxes,
ie. not counting my HiFi separates.

I have:

Sony DVD: two SCARTs (Line 1 RGB-TV) (Line 2)
Hitachi TV: two SCARTs (AV1 - RGB I think) (AV2) - TV a few years old
Pace Sky+ (v2?) PVR: two SCARTs (TV SCART) (VCR SCART)
JVC VCR: two SCARTs (AV1) (AV2)

There are RF connections also on the TV, VCR and PVR.

The way it is currently is this:

DVD (Line 1) TV (AV1)
DVD (Line 2) VCR (AV2)
PVR (TV) TV (AV2)
PVR and VCR connected by RF only, although I would like it to be done by SCARTs
(better quality?); I have just left it this way as this was how it was done by
the Sky engineer, and I need another SCART!

The PROBLEM I am having is this:

with the DVD and PVR both connected to the TV at the same time, and switched
on, I cannot get a picture from both. One of them scrolls horizontally until I
turn the other off.

What I would LIKE is this:

1. to be able to have both DVD and PVR going at the same time with no picture
interference;
2. to connect VCR and PVR (using the two unconnected SCART sockets?);
3. to be able to (temporarily) connect DVD and VCR, so I can record a DVD to
tape (this is purely a temporary arrangement, as I need to record a Region 1
DVD for a friend who has Region 2 only, and had a R1 bought by mistake for her
daughter). I don't pirate DVDs so if this means having a different set-up for
this use only, and then changing back, so be it.

Thanks for your help in anticipation.