Am I expecting too much from a PVR?

Old April 14th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

Default Am I expecting too much from a PVR?

On 12 Apr 2004 02:33:02 -0700, Ed
wrote:

Out of interest where is the analogue Eurosport signal coming from? Is
that analogue satellite or cable? A better idea might be to update
that to digital and get a digital PVR on that.

OK, so who makes a cable box with digital output? And in what form and
encoding? Could you feed that into a DTT PVR? My NTL Pace 2000 only
has analogue outputs, as far as I am aware the same is true of satellite
decoders whether their input is analogue or digital.

However if you do not use it that then that may be an expensive
solution and it may be just a case that you better stick with your
VCR.

Which, unless you know of an available TV listing site (now that Ananova
no longer does TV listings), does not make a PVR or equivalent. I
haven't found one yet which is usable.

There are some DVRs around, but they tend to be very expensive compared
to either VCRs or DTT boxes...

Chris C
Old April 14th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:53:28 +0100, Chris Croughton wrote:

Which, unless you know of an available TV listing site (now that Ananova
no longer does TV listings), does not make a PVR or equivalent. I
haven't found one yet which is usable.

I don't know for sure, but I think XMLTV has a working uk tv grabber
back-end. Have a look at:

http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]

Old April 14th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ed

Chris Croughton wrote in message ...
On 12 Apr 2004 02:33:02 -0700, Ed
wrote:

[...]

There is digiguide (www.digiguide.com), a really good product and when
a few years ago it was 4.99 for a year's subscription I would
recommend it to anyone, now having reached the price of 8.99 and
probably still climbing I would just say it is an option. Yes, there
are free alternatives, which are okay, but none of them are half as
good (yet).
I do not know much about cable, and what is available on the PVR
front. For satellite you can pick up a digital satellite PVR (say the
Humax 8100 CI for 165 plus postage plus you put your own hard drive
in it). Will not work with Sky encypted channels or the Sky EPG, in
which case you would be stuck with Sky+. I know that there are cable
PVRs, but I do not know if any are available in Britain, and anyway
they would probably be expensive since they are not mass market.
In terms of product availability cable really is the poor relative of
both DSat and DTT. I cannot think of a PC Card either that works with
cable, as if there is that would be one solution as there are addons
that allow you to use digiguide to schedule programmes.
Sorry cannot be more help.
Old April 30th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave J

www.radiotimes.co.uk?
--
Dave Johnson -
Old May 1st 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:31:32 +0100, Dave J
wrote:

In within
uk.tech.tv.video.pvr, 'Chris Croughton' wrote:

Which, unless you know of an available TV listing site (now that Ananova
no longer does TV listings),

www.radiotimes.co.uk?

I tried getting that to parse without success. Do you have to subscribe
to it or something? As far as I can see (via a web browser) it's
horribly slow...

Chris C
Old May 1st 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Webster

wrote:

In within
uk.tech.tv.video.pvr, 'Chris Croughton' wrote:

Which, unless you know of an available TV listing site (now that Ananova
no longer does TV listings),

www.radiotimes.co.uk?

I tried getting that to parse without success. Do you have to subscribe
to it or something? As far as I can see (via a web browser) it's
horribly slow...

You can grab from Bleb.org - a couple of grabbers have been written
for it. A potential candidate for inclusion in XMLTV-suite was
submitted 8th April by Andy Balaam.
I don't think it has been included yet - but seek and ye shall find.
--
Rgds
Paul Webster
Old May 2nd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

wrote:

In within
uk.tech.tv.video.pvr, 'Chris Croughton' wrote:

Which, unless you know of an available TV listing site (now that Ananova
no longer does TV listings),

www.radiotimes.co.uk?

I tried getting that to parse without success. Do you have to subscribe
to it or something? As far as I can see (via a web browser) it's
horribly slow...

You can grab from Bleb.org - a couple of grabbers have been written
for it. A potential candidate for inclusion in XMLTV-suite was
submitted 8th April by Andy Balaam.

Bleb.org already produces XMLTV-compatible listings (although see one of
my previous posts about a bug -- if a program finishes at 6am (the last
for the day) then its stop time is listed as 00:00:00 the previous day).

Unfortunately, it doesn't do Hallmark (one of the channels I do want).
It possibly doesn't do other channels I don't want as well, but since I
don't want them I don't mind.

At the moment I'm thinking of using Bleb.com with a special parser for
OneTel just to fetch Hallmark info...

I don't think it has been included yet - but seek and ye shall find.

It shouldn't need all that much...

Chris C