TiVO-Like PC application

Old April 12th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mark Kelly

Default TiVO-Like PC application

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:51:05 +0100, "Khyle"
wrote:

Hi there.

I'm trying to find something which works in a similar way to TiVO's ability
to pause live TV, and record the programming to a hard drive. I did ask
elsewhere but all they could help me with was Linux applications, and I need
this for the Windows platform.

I'm preferably looking for Open-Source or otherwise free but if it looks
good enough I may consider buying a program.

If it helps it needs to be compatible with the WinTV card from Hauppauge.

Many thanks in advance,

there are quite a few on windows, but most you have to pay. But also
doesn't the hauppague come with software to pause TV? But here is two
to get you starter http://www.showshifter.com/ and
http://www.digiguide.co.uk/
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.

Old April 23rd 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
spammy

I'm trying to find something which works in a similar way to TiVO's
ability
to pause live TV, and record the programming to a hard drive. I did ask
elsewhere but all they could help me with was Linux applications, and I

need
this for the Windows platform.

there are quite a few on windows, but most you have to pay. But also
doesn't the hauppague come with software to pause TV? But here is two
to get you starter http://www.showshifter.com/ and
http://www.digiguide.co.uk/

ive been trying out a few of the more commercial popular ones so far ive
found the following:

showshifter - pretty good, stable, fast. can full screen on non primary
monitors, live pause works great. however, cannot pause things which are
recording, or watch other existing recordings while its recording live
(including what its currently recording). in other words, it has no timeslip
feature. oh and no application mute (it mutes the whole PC instead).

beyond tv - again pretty good, but a tad slower than showshifter. BIG video
files (30 mins == 1gig, but these can be converted or "squeezed" afterward).
as well as pause it also pre buffers like sky+, so you can rewind at any
time. you can also pause and play live recordings and existing ones while
its recording other things. biggest gripe is that it only full screens to
the primary device - so youd have to set your telly as that which may cause
problems with normal PC use. again, no mute.

im getting around to trying sagetv as well as the other free ones mentioned.
ill let you know how i get on. if any one else has any other suggestions id
love to hear them - i mainly want true timeslip (irrespective of recording
status), full screen on a second monitor, and a damn mute button.

Old February 11th 05, 07:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
[email protected]

agreed - tivo is very very good - but you need to be able to dabble with
Linux
Old February 11th 05, 07:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
[email protected]

whoops - I meant to say mythtv is very very good!!
Old March 2nd 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
RasterBurn