Pace Twin

Old April 1st 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

Default Pace Twin

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:45:54 +0100, P and H Macguire wrote:

Anyone in this group have a Pace Twin and is perfectly happy with it?

Yes, and yes. I presume this is just to provoke a discussion about the
bugs that some people see, though?

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]

Old April 1st 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
P and H Macguire

"Ancipital" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:45:54 +0100, P and H Macguire wrote:

Anyone in this group have a Pace Twin and is perfectly happy with it?

Yes, and yes. I presume this is just to provoke a discussion about the
bugs that some people see, though?

--
http://www.buddhas.org is currently tqt- back soon.
[- ancipital attt hotmail dott cohm -]
"I'm not crying victim, but I am stating that a lot
of spammers are genuine scumbags." -Sanford Wallace

Yes and no. I have seen the latest Argos price (198) and wondered if it
would be worth going for, that's all. Whilst performance is important, I
tend to value reliability above all. In the light of most responses, it
looks a better bet to hang on for a few months as there seem to be a few
interesting models upcoming.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who responded.

Pat Macguire

Old April 2nd 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:04:36 +0100, P and H Macguire wrote:

Yes and no. I have seen the latest Argos price (198) and wondered if it
would be worth going for, that's all. Whilst performance is important, I
tend to value reliability above all. In the light of most responses, it
looks a better bet to hang on for a few months as there seem to be a few
interesting models upcoming.

that's the trouble with such gadgetry, it always looks like something
better is coming RSN. At least one of the PVRs has been RSN since last
year. I got fed up and bought a twin.

There are a couple of bugs, but the dumping of the transport stream gives
me lovely quality, and I love the dual-tuner aspect of it, as well as the
fact that it doesn't balk at me watching stuff which is recording etc.

I have had the empty recording bug a total of twice now, which is a slight
pain in the wossnames.

However, fusion are claiming that their PVR will finally ship in April.
While they haven't been at all accurate with such estimates in the past,
maybe it will, and maybe it will even be useable before sony finally get
the PSX out in europe

The more the merrier, I suppose. Let them fight for our custom by
producing nicer boxes...

Old April 3rd 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Blue eyed surfer

Default Pace Twin - Software

Just looked at the Pace web site,
"We plan to upgrade the software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder in May.
We will announce precise dates shortly"

BES

"Ancipital" wrote in message
news
[...]

---

Old April 3rd 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Vic

"Blue eyed surfer" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Just looked at the Pace web site,
"We plan to upgrade the software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder in May.
We will announce precise dates shortly"

They said the same in April and in March.

Maybe this time ...

Vic

Old April 4th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 01/04/2004, P and H Macguire wrote in message [email protected]
172186.news.uni-berlin.de:

would be worth going for, that's all. Whilst performance is important, I
tend to value reliability above all. In the light of most responses, it
looks a better bet to hang on for a few months as there seem to be a few
interesting models upcoming.

I don't expect to see better reliability in any models out for
at least the next 12 months. The type of thing you're trying to
do (record, in real time, an MPEG2 stream) really is rather
leading-edge and we haven't spent the necessary years developing
the technologies involved. Pretty-much every device which does
this job is going to be a little faulty for the first couple of
years.

If you want a PVR now, buy one now. If you don't want one now,
don't buy one now.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.
Old April 5th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 03/04/2004, Vic wrote in message -
berlin.de:

"We plan to upgrade the software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder in
May.
We will announce precise dates shortly"

They said the same in April and in March.

There actually was an update (different functionality, not just a
rebroadcast) for April and it was withdrawn at the last minute
because it proved to be buggy. I don't know what the changes were.

Simon.
Old April 5th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 10:46:30 +0100, Blue eyed surfer wrote:

Just looked at the Pace web site,
"We plan to upgrade the software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder in May.
We will announce precise dates shortly"

Yeah, they have a rolling upgrade schedule, you can see what's supposed to
be transmitted if you find the DTG engineering webpage. Sometimes you just
get bugfixes, sometimes handy features. It's a lucky dip.

Old April 5th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Cyril

that's the trouble with such gadgetry, it always looks like something
better is coming RSN. At least one of the PVRs has been RSN since last
year. I got fed up and bought a twin.

There are a couple of bugs, but the dumping of the transport stream gives
me lovely quality, and I love the dual-tuner aspect of it, as well as the
fact that it doesn't balk at me watching stuff which is recording etc.

I have had the empty recording bug a total of twice now, which is a slight
pain in the wossnames.

However, fusion are claiming that their PVR will finally ship in April.
While they haven't been at all accurate with such estimates in the past,
maybe it will, and maybe it will even be useable before sony finally get
the PSX out in europe

The more the merrier, I suppose. Let them fight for our custom by
producing nicer boxes...

I hope something that comes remotely close to my TiVo comes out soon,
however nothing I have seen comes anywhere near the functionality, ease of
use and reliability I get from my TiVos. TiVo seem to be 5 years ahead of
the competition. Even the old Thomson TiVo has far more functionality (for
my purposes) than anything anyone else has produced.

I might pick up a Pace Twin if its in the bargain bins for 60!

---

Old April 6th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ancipital

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:57:27 +0000, Cyril wrote:

I hope something that comes remotely close to my TiVo comes out soon,
however nothing I have seen comes anywhere near the functionality, ease of
use and reliability I get from my TiVos. TiVo seem to be 5 years ahead of
the competition. Even the old Thomson TiVo has far more functionality (for
my purposes) than anything anyone else has produced.

I might pick up a Pace Twin if its in the bargain bins for 60!

That's just it- you hit the nail on the thumb. I'd like a Tivo, but hate
the awful picture quality. Until freeview boxes have SDI out and there's a
Tivo with SDI in, or there's a Tivo with a freeview reciever in it, I'll
be chosing the one which is nearest to what I want.

Given how little TV I like to watch, and how much use I get out of the
twin also recording bits of radio 4 and the odd radio 1 show, I'm happy
with it for now, seems worth my 198 quid.