End of TiVo in the UK?

Old February 28th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Shockwave

Default End of TiVo in the UK?

Humax have announced that they have no intentions of producing a tivo
for the uk. A rather sensible move I feel.

Tivo was always a bit of a bum product. It was a nice idea but very
badly implemented. The picture was crap, the software was full of bugs
and the thing was extortionately expensive.

Now that the last manufacturer thought to be talking to tivo has
announce that they simply aren't interested surely the end is nigh for
tivo in the uk? the reliability (Or lack of) of tivo means that
numbers are dropping all the time and the superiour Sky+ has far more
subscribers.

shockwave_uk
Old February 28th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Iain Miller

"Shockwave" wrote in message
om...
Humax have announced that they have no intentions of producing a tivo
for the uk. A rather sensible move I feel.

This is either a very poor troll or you really havn't a clue what you are
talking about - however, in answer to your points

Tivo was always a bit of a bum product.

Rubbish - it was badly marketed & they sell by the boatload in the states.

It was a nice idea but very badly implemented.

Rubbish

The picture was crap, the software was full of bugs
and the thing was extortionately expensive.

Rubbish (again)! The picture I get is practically indistinguishable from
live TV via digital cable. It was too expensive initially but its biggest
problem was that it was badly marketed. Latterly it was cheap - I paid 99
for mine. When it was launched it cost a bit more than a high end VCR - and
was a lot better in terms of both what it would do and the quality it
delivered.

Now that the last manufacturer thought to be talking to tivo has
announce that they simply aren't interested surely the end is nigh for
tivo in the uk?

Nonsense. Tivo themselves have announced they intend to continue supporting
it and providing the EPG.. There are also a number of companies who can
provide repair services and parts - not to mention upgrades

the reliability (Or lack of) of tivo means that numbers are dropping all

the time and the superiour Sky+ has far more
subscribers.

Again, nonsense, Tivo's are still selling at a premium on E-bay. As for
reliability, a quick look at my Tivoweb interface tells me that my Tivo has
now been up for 203 days 4 hours 1 Minute & 26s without a glitch - previous
to that it was up for over 100 days and it only went down because of a power
cut. Its never missed a recording I've asked it to make.

My Tivo has also been modified - apart from a network card that allows me to
control it from my PC it has been upgraded to provide 280+ hours at basic
quality & over 80 hours at best. Somewhat more than you'd get from a sky+
box I think.

I also havn't seen any bugs in the Tivo software that have caused me any
problems - unlike many stories that have been written about Sky+. I also
don't pay Rupert Murdoch 10 quid a month for the thing - which is probably
the best part about it.

I.

Old February 28th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin Reilly

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 Shockwave wrote:

Humax have announced that they have no intentions of producing a tivo
for the uk. A rather sensible move I feel.

_______________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the |
/ \ | trolls |
/ \ \|_______________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

--
Kev
"There has been a lot of speculation, and I believe there will continue to
Old February 29th 04, 06:52 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Iain Miller wrote:

a quick look at my Tivoweb interface tells me that my Tivo has
now been up for 203 days 4 hours 1 Minute & 26s without a glitch

I will bet 10 that no Sky+ unit has ever achieved this.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/yvnsy
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.