Recording NTSC VHS with PVR250

Old February 24th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kai Kaltscher

Default Recording NTSC VHS with PVR250

Hi there,
I have a HCW PVR250 USB2 and would like to digitize a ntsc vhs tape.
I did download the appropriate patch from hauppauge's site, but I still end
up getting a black and white picture.
My VHS Player def. can handle NTSC-M, my tv too. I chose NTSC-M in the Suite
Manager.

Has anyone a hint about what I might be doing wrong...?

Kind Regards,

Kai

Old February 24th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:37:21 +0100, Kai Kaltscher
wrote:

Hi there,
I have a HCW PVR250 USB2 and would like to digitize a ntsc vhs tape.
I did download the appropriate patch from hauppauge's site, but I still end
up getting a black and white picture.
My VHS Player def. can handle NTSC-M, my tv too. I chose NTSC-M in the Suite
Manager.

Is it a UK VCR? If so then it 'handles' NTSC by re-encoding the colour
as PAL but keeping the frame and line rates at the US 30/525 rates.
Modern TVs can handle the 'PAL60' format (they adjust to a 60Hz field
and the line rate is almost identical), but what you get is neither true
PAL nor NTSC. The result is that your card doesn't recognise the colour
information because it's expecting NTSC and it's getting PAL.

Try telling your card to expect PAL, and seeing whether it will pull in
at the correct frame rate. Or there might be another patch for PAL60.

(If you really have an NTSC VCR and TV, of course, your problem is
something different...)

Chris C