Amstrad to make PVR's for Sky

Old February 20th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Holcroft

Default Amstrad to make PVR's for Sky

Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB, entering
a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director, predicted:
"PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

Old February 20th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
BillV

Holcroft wrote:
Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB,
entering a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director,
predicted: "PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

I hope they aren't as unreliable as the crap PCs they used to make a few
years ago.... harddisks failing all over the place..
But of course they will be ... Quality has never been Amsturd's strong point
or even aspiration

Old February 20th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Clem Dye

BillV wrote:
Holcroft wrote:

Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB,
entering a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director,
predicted: "PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

I hope they aren't as unreliable as the crap PCs they used to make a few
years ago.... harddisks failing all over the place..
But of course they will be ... Quality has never been Amsturd's strong point
or even aspiration

No. Amstrad always builld a quality product. It's just that most
people's idea of quality is not the same as Amstrad's.

Old February 20th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:18:27 -0000, "Holcroft"
wrote:

Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB, entering
a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director, predicted:
"PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

Are we stuck with 'PVR'? It's a bit daft, isn't it? DVR makes more
sense.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com
Old February 20th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Tumbleweed

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
BillV wrote:
Holcroft wrote:

Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB,
entering a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director,
predicted: "PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

I hope they aren't as unreliable as the crap PCs they used to make a few
years ago.... harddisks failing all over the place..
But of course they will be ... Quality has never been Amsturd's strong

point
or even aspiration

No. Amstrad always builld a quality product. It's just that most
people's idea of quality is not the same as Amstrad's.

It wasnt their hard disk, and IIRC they eventually and succesfully sued the
HD manufacturer.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old February 20th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike GW8IJT

wrote:

Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB, entering
a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director, predicted:
"PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

Are we stuck with 'PVR'? It's a bit daft, isn't it? DVR makes more
sense.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

PVR stands for 'Personal Video Recorder' or something similar, but what's
personal about a thing that's plugged into the mains, an aerial feed, scarts
etc.?
Mike.

---

Old February 21st 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Monkey Hanger

"BillV" wrote in message
Holcroft wrote:
Today's FT -

Amstrad:

The group also announced it was about to start shipping personal video
recorders (PVRs) - the new generation of set-top boxes - to BSkyB,
entering a market dominated by rival Pace Micro Technology.

Simon Sugar, son of chairman Sir Alan, and commercial director,
predicted: "PVRs will replace VCRs in the years to come."

I hope they aren't as unreliable as the crap PCs they used to make a few
years ago.... harddisks failing all over the place..
But of course they will be ... Quality has never been Amsturd's strong

point
or even aspiration

It wasn't the failure of the HDD, it was the failure of the controller. They
did send out replacement WD controller cards to correct the problem.. And
don't forget that Amstrad made the first affordable PC - the 1512. That
brought down the prices of all the rest.
Their PC's weren't crap - they were cheap. You have a lot to thank Amstrad
for!

Old February 21st 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Rooney

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:46:12 GMT, Dave wrote:

Perhaps because it records your personal choice of television,

As opposed to some other sort that records, er, someone else's choice?

and the
better ones learn your likes and dislikes and can choose what to
record automatically.
Perhaps you're thinking of the word 'portable'

Personal stereos are carried on the person - that's the comparison.

Old February 21st 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:27:53 -0000, Mike GW8IJT
wrote:

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message

Are we stuck with 'PVR'? It's a bit daft, isn't it? DVR makes more
sense.

PVR stands for 'Personal Video Recorder' or something similar, but what's
personal about a thing that's plugged into the mains, an aerial feed, scarts
etc.?

I said much the same when this group (uk.tech.tv.video.pvr) was
proposed. To me a "Personal Video Recorder" sounds like something you
can carry around with you, like a movie camera. PVR certainly implies
nothing about any 'digital' aspect, which is why I insist that my
current setup using two S-VHS VCRs and a MiniDisc recorder controlled by
three PCs (two Linux, one which does the control and one which selects
what to record, one Windows for DigiGuide) is just as much a 'PVR' as a
TiVo or whatever.

DVR is a sensible abbreviation. PVR means nothing sensible. But we're
probably stuck with it now...

Chris C
Old February 21st 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Monkey Hanger

wrote:

[...]

So, to use your own parlance, a PC (Personal Computer) is something you can
carry around with you!