Tivo IR blaster directly into NTL IR input socket?

Old February 11th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jon Skeet

Default Tivo IR blaster directly into NTL IR input socket?

The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

--
Jon Skeet -
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
Old February 11th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

Jon Skeet wrote:
The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

can't answer that as it's not my setup but post the question to the tivo
community
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...?s=&forumid=14 I'm
sure someone will be able to assist.

Phil

Old February 11th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Angus Rae

Jon Skeet wrote:
The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

Likely to be a 4000, especially if your TiVo is controlling it without
you having to get a dongle or a RedRemote - Pace 1000 and 2000 boxes
don't respond to standard IR codes, and need an adaptor to convert them.

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

I suspect not; the only mentions of the port I can find in
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=29576
suggests that it's not enabled by the NTL software anyway. If you have
your IR blaster aimed well, and there's no extraneous IR sources (if
there is, then build a little "fort" around the blaster so that no other
signals can interfere with it) then channel changing should be pretty
reliable anyway; I haven't had a missed channel change on my TiVo in
months, and those I have had generally haven't been down to IR problems
- it's usually the set top box crashing or otherwise acting up.

--
Angus G Rae Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team University of Edinburgh
Old February 11th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jon Skeet

Angus Rae wrote:
Jon Skeet wrote:
The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

Likely to be a 4000, especially if your TiVo is controlling it without
you having to get a dongle or a RedRemote - Pace 1000 and 2000 boxes
don't respond to standard IR codes, and need an adaptor to convert them.

Right. I certainly haven't had to do anything special to it.

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

I suspect not; the only mentions of the port I can find in
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=29576
suggests that it's not enabled by the NTL software anyway. If you have
your IR blaster aimed well, and there's no extraneous IR sources (if
there is, then build a little "fort" around the blaster so that no other
signals can interfere with it) then channel changing should be pretty
reliable anyway; I haven't had a missed channel change on my TiVo in
months, and those I have had generally haven't been down to IR problems
- it's usually the set top box crashing or otherwise acting up.

Fair enough. I might see if I've got a spare cable lying around, check
the voltage coming out of the Tivo (so that it won't blow the NTL box
up) and then give it a whirl anyway...

--
Jon Skeet -
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
Old February 11th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:05:48 -0000, Jon Skeet wrote:

The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

The IR sockets on the back of NTL STBs are not enabled.
DO NOT PLUG MONO JACK INTO THEM - you will at best crash the box and at worst damage it as you will
short out the 5v supply on the centre sleeve.

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

The only way is to use an IR transmitter to the front receiver. For a 1000/1010/2000 STB you need
either the Tivo dongle or a Red-Eye translator (www.redremote.co.uk)
Old February 11th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jon Skeet

Mike Harrison wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:05:48 -0000, Jon Skeet wrote:

The Tivo IR blaster output and my NTL receiver (Pace box, can't
remember the model off-hand) IR input sockets are both effectively mono
headphone sockets. The NTL IR box says it has a 5v maximum input, but
I've no idea what the Tivo IR blaster output is.

The IR sockets on the back of NTL STBs are not enabled.
DO NOT PLUG MONO JACK INTO THEM - you will at best crash the box and
at worst damage it as you will
short out the 5v supply on the centre sleeve.

Righto. Warning noted - thanks very much

Does anyone know if these should work together? I would imagine if they
do, it would be significantly better than relying on the NTL box front
plate sensor.

The only way is to use an IR transmitter to the front receiver. For
a 1000/1010/2000 STB you need
either the Tivo dongle or a Red-Eye translator (www.redremote.co.uk)

The front plate is working okay - I was a bit worried yesterday when it
was playing up, but I believe that's because I was using the Tivo
remote really close to both boxes, so it may well have been confused by
that.

--
Jon Skeet -
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet