Pace Twin + topup tv

Old February 9th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

Default Pace Twin + topup tv

Does the pace have a CAM module, or is it just a slot?

Old February 9th 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
ArmandAlegge

Just a slot....surely there is no CAM circuitry?they just couldn't be
bothered to use a decent case despite the price?That's what I think.

"nick" wrote in message
.. .
Does the pace have a CAM module, or is it just a slot?

Old February 9th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
BrownieT

"nick" wrote in message
.. .
Does the pace have a CAM module, or is it just a slot?

I think it is a properly wired up slot that requires a firmware update from
Pace to activate it. From what i have read, you could say it is wired ready
but Pace haven't spent any time on it as there was no need prior to Top-Up
tv. There is a thread developing on the forums that quotes an email from
Pace suggesting that they have no intention 'presently' of developing any
firmware but 'presently' could mean a change tomorrow. Up until today I
just assumed the slot would work.

To be honest if they don't switch on the card feature, then this will be my
last Pace product. I'm reasonably happy with my Twin but to think that a
hardware (future-proof) feature isn't enabled is a bit sh*te. It's early
days, but considering many people have their Pace still under warranty then
I'm sure that if we all thought of a reason to return the box within the
terms of the warranty (of course) then Pace will get the message when
hundreds start flooding back to them. With other HDD recorders on the
horizon, and some other outstanding bugs on the Twin, then I will be
watching their roll-out carefully. I have no intention of scraping 200
quids worth of box should I want to subscribe to Top-Up Tv - whether I would
is another matter.

Old February 10th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Damo

Well I got this from Pace. Sounds like the "card slot" is cosmetic only!!

The box is very similar to the layout of the Sky+ boxes after all ;-

"Hello
No the box is not currently compatible with the proposed Top up TV service
and we have no current plans to support an upgrade to accept the pay-TV
package, this however could change in the future.
The slot in the front of the box does not have a function and the serial
port is for serial downloading at the factory and service centre.

Thank you for your email.
Best Regards
Customer Front Office
Pace Micro Technology plc"

Great. Could throw it back at Argos as the description says Card slot, not
hole in front of fascia that serves no purpose!

Grrr!

"BrownieT" wrote in message

.. .

Old February 10th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick

"Hello
No the box is not currently compatible with the proposed Top up TV service
and we have no current plans to support an upgrade to accept the pay-TV
package, this however could change in the future.
The slot in the front of the box does not have a function and the serial
port is for serial downloading at the factory and service centre.

Thank you for your email.
Best Regards
Customer Front Office
Pace Micro Technology plc"

I'm not sure PACE should be able to get away with this - my Pace manual says
"viewing card slot - insert your viewing card here when you are requested to
do so (for future use only)"

Old February 10th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

"Nick" wrote in message ...
"Hello
No the box is not currently compatible with the proposed Top up TV service
and we have no current plans to support an upgrade to accept the pay-TV
package, this however could change in the future.
The slot in the front of the box does not have a function and the serial
port is for serial downloading at the factory and service centre.

Thank you for your email.
Best Regards
Customer Front Office
Pace Micro Technology plc"

I'm not sure PACE should be able to get away with this - my Pace manual says
"viewing card slot - insert your viewing card here when you are requested to
do so (for future use only)"

Lets RMA the lot to Pace via Argos.

Old February 10th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Spock

If you take the top off you will see it is a fully wired card reader. I
suspect it will not work until the SOFTWARE is upgraded, which is hardly
surprising. Of course it is a real card reader!

Mike

"nick" wrote in message
.. .

Old February 11th 04, 05:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"Spock" wrote in message

If you take the top off you will see it is a fully wired card reader. I
suspect it will not work until the SOFTWARE is upgraded, which is hardly
surprising. Of course it is a real card reader!

Yep, as said in my post earlier.

Old February 11th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
D Mumford

We will find out when the new software is made available in march, there
will be a menu for the card details

Old February 11th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"D Mumford" wrote in message
We will find out when the new software is made available in march, there
will be a menu for the card details

Hi Dave - Thanks for your post but how do you know about the card menu? I
haven't checked for a while, but I've not seen anything from Pace before
your post saying what is going to be included in that new update? I'm also
left wondering if the Top Up card will be supported as it was only yesterday
or Monday when Pace were saying that Top Up wouldn't be supported. So, have
they changed their mind, or are you just saying that there is definate
information to suggest that the card reader will be activated even if it
doesn't support Top Up tv?