TIVO resilience

Old February 5th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Meng

Default TIVO resilience

I live in an area that seems to be susceptible to power cuts.

So far my Tivo has coped admirably but I'm concerned that sooner or later
it's going to suffer.

I've got it connected to a surge protector, but is there anything else I can
do to give it added protection?

Is there, for example, any way I can give it some sort of battery backup?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old February 5th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
BlankReg

If you are looking for power backup with surge protection, APC may have what
you are looking for.

http://www.apc.com/solutions/home/index.cfm

Hope this helps,

Iain

Old February 5th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
James Hart

Meng wrote:
I live in an area that seems to be susceptible to power cuts.

So far my Tivo has coped admirably but I'm concerned that sooner or
later it's going to suffer.

I've got it connected to a surge protector, but is there anything
else I can do to give it added protection?

Is there, for example, any way I can give it some sort of battery
backup?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got mine plugged into a UPS, along with the DTT decoder feeding it.
When the leccy goes off (or even just dips out for a while) I know that my
recordings are safe and the system can continue grabbing my shows without me
needing to do anything at all. Most online computer suppliers would do them,
brand names include APC and Belkin if you're looking for something to search
on.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old February 5th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
PhilÅ

I have mine plugged into a small UPS, just a APC500.

You can pickup a suitable OFFLINE ups for under £50, it also acts as a surge
protector.

Also if you connect your set top box to it, you will not lose recordings.
Just don't connect your TV to it.

Old February 5th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:31:16 +0000, Meng
wrote:

I live in an area that seems to be susceptible to power cuts.

So far my Tivo has coped admirably but I'm concerned that sooner or later
it's going to suffer.

I've got it connected to a surge protector, but is there anything else I can
do to give it added protection?

Is there, for example, any way I can give it some sort of battery backup?

You need a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply), this has a battery built
in so the at it always produces 'clean' mains power out (and will cope
with power surges and drops as well as actual cuts). Most PC suppliers
will sell them, including PC World ansd Maplin. Note that many of them
only have a "kettle plug" type output (like the ones for the monitor on
the back of some PCs), if you want to run your DTT, cable, Sky or other
box from it you will need to wire up a standard socket (or change the
plugs on the equipment).

You can get them reconditioned for under 100 pounds, check eBay (but
make sure that they have fitted new batteries). Or drop me an email if
you live near Watford area, I know a guy who reconditions them...

Chris C
Old February 6th 04, 12:02 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Meng

Default TIVO resilience - THANKS

Thanks to all who replied.

UPS it is!

Old February 6th 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave Walker

"Meng" wrote in message
Thanks to all who replied.

UPS it is!

Apart from they buzz....

Old February 6th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 01:57:23 -0000, Dave Walker
wrote:

"Meng" wrote in message
Thanks to all who replied.

UPS it is!

Apart from they buzz....

Not if properly maintained. Mine hum when they are first plugged in and
switched on, but that goes away after a minute or so.

Don't put tapes on them, though, the magnetic fields can be fairly
severe (one of mine was mounted underneath my cassette deck, and the hum
from the transformer came through clearly).

Chris C