A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.tv.video.pvr Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.tv.video.pvr Personal Video Recorder (PVR) (uk.tech.tv.video.pvr) Hard disk-based Personal Video Recorder(PVR) systems.

home built PVR



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 5th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default home built PVR

Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx



Ads
  #2  
Old February 5th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Landregan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default home built PVR


"Phil" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx



Yes, most also have composite video if your TV wont take S-Video on the
scart.


  #3  
Old February 6th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default home built PVR



Phil wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx




Another question, I'm thinking of building my PVR using a Shuttle
platform http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=29

anyone built one using a shuttle, if so what components did you put into
it. I'm thinking about mythtv for the software.

Cheers

  #4  
Old February 6th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Wideass
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default home built PVR

Phil wrote in message ...
Phil wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx




Another question, I'm thinking of building my PVR using a Shuttle
platform http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=29

anyone built one using a shuttle, if so what components did you put into
it. I'm thinking about mythtv for the software.

Cheers


I built a PC to use as a digital video recorder a couple of years ago.
The main issue for me was noise. I used quiet components
(www.quietpc.com) and the dominant noise was from the PSU fan (a quiet
PSU). The Shuttle sounds nice and I'm tempted to build another quiet
PC myself with something like that, but it would be nice to know how
quiet it really is. "Super Quiet" doesn't necessarily mean silent.
You might like to look at http://sit.wisc.edu/~bjlarson2/
  #5  
Old February 7th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default home built PVR



Wideass wrote:
Phil wrote in message ...

Phil wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx




Another question, I'm thinking of building my PVR using a Shuttle
platform http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=29

anyone built one using a shuttle, if so what components did you put into
it. I'm thinking about mythtv for the software.

Cheers



I built a PC to use as a digital video recorder a couple of years ago.
The main issue for me was noise. I used quiet components
(www.quietpc.com) and the dominant noise was from the PSU fan (a quiet
PSU). The Shuttle sounds nice and I'm tempted to build another quiet
PC myself with something like that, but it would be nice to know how
quiet it really is. "Super Quiet" doesn't necessarily mean silent.
You might like to look at http://sit.wisc.edu/~bjlarson2/


Thanks, great link....just what I was looking for !!

  #6  
Old February 11th 04, 05:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Vortex
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default home built PVR


"Wideass" wrote in message
om...
Phil wrote in message ...
Phil wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and

then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx




Another question, I'm thinking of building my PVR using a Shuttle
platform http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=29

anyone built one using a shuttle, if so what components did you put into
it. I'm thinking about mythtv for the software.

Cheers


I built a PC to use as a digital video recorder a couple of years ago.
The main issue for me was noise. I used quiet components
(www.quietpc.com) and the dominant noise was from the PSU fan (a quiet
PSU). The Shuttle sounds nice and I'm tempted to build another quiet
PC myself with something like that, but it would be nice to know how
quiet it really is. "Super Quiet" doesn't necessarily mean silent.
You might like to look at http://sit.wisc.edu/~bjlarson2/


Personally I'm tempted by the ASUS Digimatrix....but I won't buy 'til I hear
one!?!?

http://uk.asus.com/products/desktop/...x/overview.htm

Any users out there?

David


  #7  
Old February 11th 04, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin O'Donovan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default home built PVR

"Vortex" wrote in message
...

"Wideass" wrote in message
om...
Phil wrote in message

...
Phil wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering building my own PC based pvr but I have one

major
concern. my TV has RF & scart inputs. I would like to use one of

the
scarts to connect the pvr to. What kit would I need to allow me to

do
this, is it simply a case of buying a TV card with s-video out and

then
getting an s-video -- SCART cable to allow me to control and view
programs on the TV ?

Thanx




Another question, I'm thinking of building my PVR using a Shuttle
platform

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=29

anyone built one using a shuttle, if so what components did you put

into
it. I'm thinking about mythtv for the software.

Cheers


I built a PC to use as a digital video recorder a couple of years ago.
The main issue for me was noise. I used quiet components
(www.quietpc.com) and the dominant noise was from the PSU fan (a quiet
PSU). The Shuttle sounds nice and I'm tempted to build another quiet
PC myself with something like that, but it would be nice to know how
quiet it really is. "Super Quiet" doesn't necessarily mean silent.
You might like to look at http://sit.wisc.edu/~bjlarson2/


Personally I'm tempted by the ASUS Digimatrix....but I won't buy 'til I

hear
one!?!?

http://uk.asus.com/products/desktop/...x/overview.htm

Any users out there?

David


Same here, though I'm not really interested in it for use as a PVR (got a
tivo instead). I do want to use it as the rest of a home entertainment
centre though, ie playing DVDs, playing downloaded or extracted video,
playing music (MP3), displaying photos. A shuttle box would look out of
place with the other stuff, but I could get a digimatrix past SWMBO.

When are they supposed to be available in theUK, do you know?


  #8  
Old February 11th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default home built PVR

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:20:33 -0000, "Kevin O'Donovan"
wrote:



Same here, though I'm not really interested in it for use as a PVR (got a
tivo instead). I do want to use it as the rest of a home entertainment
centre though, ie playing DVDs, playing downloaded or extracted video,
playing music (MP3), displaying photos. A shuttle box would look out of
place with the other stuff, but I could get a digimatrix past SWMBO.

When are they supposed to be available in theUK, do you know?



scan.co.uk have them listed (no price).
tcs24.co.uk (never heard of 'em) have it at 367.50 inc.
I can't find any info on the TV-card.
For me, the Shuttle has the advantage that I could install my Nova-T
or Nova-S in it.
A Digimatrix minus TV-Card plus USB DVB might be an option.

  #10  
Old February 12th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin O'Donovan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default home built PVR

"guv" wrote in message
...
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:49:10 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:20:33 -0000, "Kevin O'Donovan"
wrote:



Same here, though I'm not really interested in it for use as a PVR (got

a
tivo instead). I do want to use it as the rest of a home entertainment
centre though, ie playing DVDs, playing downloaded or extracted video,
playing music (MP3), displaying photos. A shuttle box would look out of
place with the other stuff, but I could get a digimatrix past SWMBO.


Or you could go for a Umax 6100 which is just 61 + VAT - and will
play your DVDs and anything else that youve burnt. (eg VCD,SVCD,XVCD,
Xvid, DivX, raw mpeg and avi files, jpegs for slide slows etc.)

Should be nice to be able to view 5 films on 1 DVDR disc;-)

Mine is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. Just hope it lives up to
expectations.

Not quite what I want though. I've got gigabytes of music in MP3 format
(entire CD collection ripped, and all my old vinyl pulled in as well), also
gigs of video either downloaded or archived from the tivo, several gig of
camcorder footage, and a fair number of photos. These are currently in
various places on the home network. I don't really want to have to start
burning CDs or DVDs to access this stuff, I just want to access it directly
from the network. Building a computer based solution will let me do this. If
I write my own front end, I can also make navigation a lot more manageable
as well


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.