To TiVo or not to TiVo...?

Old February 5th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Doz

Default To TiVo or not to TiVo...?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a TiVo off Ebay... anything I should look out for ?

Also, is it possible to remove TiVo recorded video off onto DVD-R via
network and a PC ?

I've heard of turbo net... but what is it ?

Regards,

Doz

Old February 5th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Yannick

Doz wrote:
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a TiVo off Ebay... anything I should look out for ?

Also, is it possible to remove TiVo recorded video off onto DVD-R via
network and a PC ?

I've heard of turbo net... but what is it ?

Regards,

Doz

Don't consider do it ! also check out www.tivoland.com Very reputable
and provides pre-upgraged machines to 200Gb! and also turbonet if you
want it. He's a little more pricey than e-bay but you have a guarantee.

It is possible to take a recording off to PC but it's complex and not
really worth the effort. You can hook up a DVD-R to the system via
SCART, this will allow you to dump recording to DVD. This is a feature
of Tivo

Turbonet allows your Tivo to be on your home network and allow you to
set up a web server to control your Tivo from a PC nice to have but not
nessesary.

Phil

Old February 5th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the Omrud

Doz spake thus:

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a TiVo off Ebay... anything I should look out for ?

A Tivo with lifetime service contract is worth a lot more than one
without (about 150 more?). Other than that, if it's working now
there's very little you can do to tell whether it will fail soon.
The only moving parts are the hard disc and the fan, both of which
can be replaced, although the former takes somewhat more effort than
the latter as you'd have to rebuild the software on a separate PC.

Also, is it possible to remove TiVo recorded video off onto DVD-R via
network and a PC ?

It is possible; it's a bit tortuous but perfectly possible.
Start here http://tinyurl.com/2jrc8. You'd have to buy and fit a
network card first, which means taking the disc out to make the
initial software update via a PC.

--
the Omrud
through a Glass, darkly
Old February 5th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Phil

the Omrud wrote:
[...]

Replacing the HDD sounds dificult when you read the guides but really is
very simple assuming you have access to a PC and know how
to cable up the drives correctly. I keep a virgin image of Tivo for
when the HDD fails. I created a new 120Gb drive just yesterday and it
took all of 10mins to do. The hardest thing as always is getting the
lid off the Tivo

Old February 5th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin O'Donovan