A Pace twin PVR question...

Old February 4th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
no

Default A Pace twin PVR question...

Can I plug (SCART?) in another source to the Pace, for example, an NTL
digibox - so I can watch a freeview channel whilst recording an NTL channel
and vice-versa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen a Pace twin in action
yet.

Thanks for any help,
Chris.

Old February 4th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"no" wrote in message
Can I plug (SCART?) in another source to the Pace, for example, an NTL
digibox - so I can watch a freeview channel whilst recording an NTL

channel
and vice-versa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen a Pace twin in action
yet.

No - it only records the Freeview stream, nothing else.

Old February 5th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Geoff Winkless

Brownie wrote:
"no" wrote in message
Can I plug (SCART?) in another source to the Pace, for example, an
NTL digibox - so I can watch a freeview channel whilst recording an
NTL channel and vice-versa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen a Pace twin in
action yet.

No - it only records the Freeview stream, nothing else.

But will it passthrough the other source?

Geoff

Old February 5th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Brownie

"Geoff Winkless" ] wrote in message
. net...
Brownie wrote:
"no" wrote in message
Can I plug (SCART?) in another source to the Pace, for example, an
NTL digibox - so I can watch a freeview channel whilst recording an
NTL channel and vice-versa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen a Pace twin in
action yet.

No - it only records the Freeview stream, nothing else.

But will it passthrough the other source?

I think so, yes...you mean just simply pass the NTL signal through to the
TV. I thought the question was about using the Pace as a digital VCR to
record from the NTL box which you can't. You can do it the other way around
and ask the Pace to 'record' to it's 2nd scart socket instead of the hard
drive. If you have a VCR or DVDR connected you can record the Pace output.

Old February 6th 04, 03:49 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Guest

Brownie wrote:
"no" wrote in message
Can I plug (SCART?) in another source to the Pace, for example, an
NTL digibox - so I can watch a freeview channel whilst recording an
NTL channel and vice-versa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen a Pace twin in
action yet.

No - it only records the Freeview stream, nothing else.

But will it passthrough the other source?

I think so, yes...you mean just simply pass the NTL signal through to the
TV. I thought the question was about using the Pace as a digital VCR to
record from the NTL box which you can't. You can do it the other way around
and ask the Pace to 'record' to it's 2nd scart socket instead of the hard
drive. If you have a VCR or DVDR connected you can record the Pace output.

Yes..

If its any help to anyone, the recording combinations that
have been used here, (or are in use), a

One tuner directed to the HDD with the second tuner
(sinultaneously if needed) being directed to the TV SCART.

...or one tuner directed to the TV SCART and the second
(again simultaneously if needed) to the VCR SCART.

(The 'event timer' list, which includes radio, whilst
listing all advance events as entered by the User, also
lists timer events for the TV SCART and the VCR SCART
seperately, on demand).

The VCR SCART allows for archiving of the HDD contents,
(in real time), to either VTRs or DVDRs, or to a daisy
chained combination of peripherals.

It doesn't appear possible to direct one tuner output to the
HDD with the second tuner to the VCR SCART - possibly because
of the archiving facility (?), whereby a combination of HDD
contents can be selected for continuous, serial, archiving.

However, as above, the second (or first) tuner may be directed
to an external VCR for recording on the way to the TV, whilst
the other tuner is archiving..

The output on both TV and VCR SCARTS may be set up independently
for auto 16:9, Letterbox, Full Screen or 4:3 as required by
the User - or by attached VCRs etc.

Both the TV and VCR SCARTs allow for loop (pass) through of
signals, in either 'direction'. The TV SCART offers RGB and
composite, the VCR SCART offers S-VHS and composite.

It isn't presently possible to record an external source
to the HDD, other than the digital aerial signal to the
tuners, (which regardless of where else the external aerial
connects, should be it's first connection). In some respects
it's a pity that it's not possible to record an external source,
coz that could benefit the archiving of such sources, as can be
recorded with the Panny and Toshiba DVDRs (at twice or three
times the price it must be said)!

The PACE Twin auto displays 'AUX' whenever a signal is being
received from, or to, either of the SCARTS - this does not
affect timed recordings - but might affect the display in
favour of whichever DVD/VCR is the most recent switched 'in'.
Judicious manipulation of TV or VCR AVs, if necessary, will
ensure that the central command bunker is in control!

The options seem to be available whether or not the unit is
active or in standby mode - however, the habit of switching
on from standby and checking itself, when an 'AUX' signal
is received from one of the external VCRs, DVDRs or DVD -
and the subsequent 'meouwing' as the HDD goes back to sleep
is a bit un-nerving at first..

This doesn't seem to affect any signal passing through the
machine's electronics on their way to or from any attached
peripheral. There's no discernable degradation of signal,
(using a Sony 32KVWS as monitor) - rather, the PACE Twin seems
to 'clean' the signal, similar in manner to that of the DVDRs
of the equally award winning Panny DME50/60 and Toshiba XS30.

Of course, all SCARTS are fully wired and earthed, but not
necessarily with fancy gold plating! (Doesn't seem to make
much difference, picture remains excellent)..

Incidentally, the PACE Twin can quite happily be looped through
an edit deck VCR (or two, or DVDR) on it's way to the TV. Just
make sure that things are not plugged/unplugged whilst 'live',
in case of accidental peaking. The PACE Twin may be quite robust,
as is the HDD, but don't take unnecessary chances with what is,
after all, a sensitive piece of electronic equipment..

Hope this lot helps..

Bill ZFC

--
Freedom2-ArgoNet Domain Host -==-
and internet provider for all -==-

Old February 6th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
no

wrote in message

[snipped an excellent and comprehensive answer!]

Hope this lot helps..

Bill ZFC

Wow, thanks Bill, it certainly does.
I think what I'll do is build my own pvr (although I might struggle to build
one as cheaply as the Pace twin!).

Thanks and regards,
Chris.

Old February 8th 04, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

On 06/02/2004, wrote in message :

It isn't presently possible to record an external source
to the HDD, other than the digital aerial signal to the
tuners, (which regardless of where else the external aerial
connects, should be it's first connection). In some respects
it's a pity that it's not possible to record an external source,
coz that could benefit the archiving of such sources,

Currently the Twins can do these things:

a) use an MPEG source as input
b) store the MPEG signal on disk
c) convert MPEG to analogue
d) output an analogue signal to a SCART socket

Adding another facility

e) convert analogue to MPEG

would dramatically increase the price of the Twins. MPEG is a
licensed format: you pay money to sell circuitry which can
convert into it. And you have to include the extra circuitry
needed to actually do it. And that would be expensive circuitry
since it would need the intelligence to be able to analyse the
analogue signal and encode it in MPEG format, a very complicated
thing.

as can be
recorded with the Panny and Toshiba DVDRs (at twice or three
times the price it must be said)!

And now you know why.

Simon.
--