Tivo channel changing woes

Old January 22nd 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ted Rogers

Default Tivo channel changing woes

I've had a Tivo since they were released and have recently been handed, by
Sky, a crabby Amstrad SAT box after switching from NTL.

The channel changing method is crap (via the wire and two IR emitters to the
front of the Amstrad box) - the Tivo often fails to deliver the last digit
of the three or the sat box fails to receive it (This also used to happen
when I was with NTL). Is there a hard-wired approach to this using these two
units? Or would anyone suggest some other solution?

Many thanks

Ted

Old January 22nd 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Angus Rae

Ted Rogers wrote:
I've had a Tivo since they were released and have recently been handed, by
Sky, a crabby Amstrad SAT box after switching from NTL.

The channel changing method is crap (via the wire and two IR emitters to the
front of the Amstrad box) - the Tivo often fails to deliver the last digit
of the three or the sat box fails to receive it (This also used to happen
when I was with NTL). Is there a hard-wired approach to this using these two
units? Or would anyone suggest some other solution?

The TiVo IR is usually reliable on Sky boxes as long as the IR
transmitter is pointed at the receiver right, and as long as the right
code is used. You should be using code 20016 under manufacturer "Sky
Digital" if you want the Sky button to be sent prior to any recording
(which will ensure that the box is turned on) or 20006 otherwise. Have a
look with a torch at the front panel of the Amstrad to see if you can
spot the IR receiver - it's not always in the position you might first
suspect.

If your channel changing is unreliable try moving the transmitter end of
the IR wand slightly further out from the front of the box (if it's too
close reflections can cause signal corruption) or if the box is in a
position where there's a lot of direct sunlight then try "tenting" the
transmitter and receiver (just stick a book or something on top to test)
to block the sunlight. And always make sure that there isn't a magazine
resting on top of a remote control somewhere in the room!

Alternatively, there is a gadget from PaceLink which will send the IR
commands via the RF2 port on any Sky or Sky+ port. As far as I recall
it's meant to be more reliable, but still not 100% due to some aspects
of the Sky box itself. http://www.pacelink.co.uk/rf2link.htm for more info.

--
Angus G Rae Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team University of Edinburgh
Old January 25th 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
PhilÅ

Grundig 20016 Fast
Is the best code for all Sky boxes (Except Sky+)

Old January 26th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Angus Rae wrote:

The TiVo IR is usually reliable on Sky boxes as long as the IR
transmitter is pointed at the receiver right, and as long as the right
code is used.

I always found it to be at best 90% reliable regardless of how it was
set up.

Alternatively, there is a gadget from PaceLink which will send the IR
commands via the RF2 port on any Sky or Sky+ port. As far as I recall
it's meant to be more reliable, but still not 100% due to some aspects
of the Sky box itself. http://www.pacelink.co.uk/rf2link.htm for more info.

There is a gadget that does far more he
http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/skyeye.htm
I have used one for over a year and am absolutely delighted with it.
It is totally reliable and also removes the red dot.

The PaceLink offering is poor in comparison.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/tez5
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old January 26th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin O'Donovan

Old January 27th 04, 08:17 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Kevin O'Donovan wrote:

To be honest, 90% means that 1 program in 10 is lost. If I were getting that
sort of lack of reliability I'd have ditched tivo a long time ago. I think
I'd find 99% similarly unacceptable.

That's why I bought the £20 link device I mentioned. Now it's perfect.

And I don't see any red dots.

OT: Actually "red dots" is now a totally incorrect name. The last one
I noticed before my zapper kicked in was a lurid green thing covering
about 15% of the screen. I'm amazed that people don't complain more
about them.