PVR on digital cable

Old January 22nd 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Tobias Muhlhofer

Default PVR on digital cable

Hi, all!

I am an NTL digital cable subscriber and I also use my digibox as a
modem for broadband. What are my options in terms of getting a pvr,
preferably one without a subscription (so not TiVo and of course not sky+)?

Thanks
Old January 22nd 04, 07:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Yannick

Tobias Muhlhofer wrote:
Hi, all!

I am an NTL digital cable subscriber and I also use my digibox as a
modem for broadband. What are my options in terms of getting a pvr,
preferably one without a subscription (so not TiVo and of course not sky+)?

Thanks

Why not Tivo ? it's the best there is. Ok you will have to buy one
from Ebay or www.tivoland.com but if you buy the lifetime sub for 199
that's it your done. So in total the pvr will cost you approx 450 but
well worth the money. I've had my life subbed box for over 2 years now
so technically I'm in profit vs the pay monthly sub model.

The service you pay yours subs for is the EPG, without an EPG a pvr is
nothing more than a manual video recorded without video plus. The EPG
makes all the difference!

Old January 22nd 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Carl Waring

Tobias Muhlhofer wrote:
Hi, all!

I am an NTL digital cable subscriber and I also use my digibox as a
modem for broadband. What are my options in terms of getting a pvr,
preferably one without a subscription (so not TiVo and of course not
sky+)?

Thanks

There you have a choice of exactly, erm, NONE. Tivo is they way to go.

--
C/-\R|_ \/\//-\R||\|G
Change colour to blue to reply

Old January 22nd 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:42:55 GMT, "Carl Waring" wrote:

Tobias Muhlhofer wrote:
Hi, all!

I am an NTL digital cable subscriber and I also use my digibox as a
modem for broadband. What are my options in terms of getting a pvr,
preferably one without a subscription (so not TiVo and of course not
sky+)?

Thanks

There you have a choice of exactly, erm, NONE. Tivo is they way to go.

..
...there's always Windows XP MCE2004....

There is a hard-disc recorder coming out around about April that will feature the Guide Plus+ system
as used on the Philips DVDR80. I don't have any more info than that, but this came directly from the
GuidePlus people.

GuidePlus+ gets its data over teletext and is subscription-free.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Tobias Muhlhofer

.
..there's always Windows XP MCE2004....

There is a hard-disc recorder coming out around about April that will feature the Guide Plus+ system
as used on the Philips DVDR80. I don't have any more info than that, but this came directly from the
GuidePlus people.

GuidePlus+ gets its data over teletext and is subscription-free.

Hmmm...

Maybe I'll have to wait for that. If it can decode digital cable that
might be worth waiting for.

I just see it from my brother in Austria: he has an ASTRA dish (ASTRA,
btw, is sub-free) and a dvr that updates its program from the
satellite's digitally encoded program guide. Now, my cable has a
digitally encoded program guide, but from what I'm hearing nobody has as
yet built a dvr that can decode it, together with the picture signal, right?

Damn

TM
Old January 22nd 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Pete Williams

"Tobias Muhlhofer" wrote in message
Hi, all!

I am an NTL digital cable subscriber and I also use my digibox as a
modem for broadband. What are my options in terms of getting a pvr,
preferably one without a subscription (so not TiVo and of course not

sky+)?

Thanks

You may want to look at some of these PC alternatives.
http://myhtpc.net/
http://gbpvr.com/

If you have/get a PVR card in your PC, then this may be worth looking into.

Both of these apps are free and both offer free EPG info that is downloaded
to your PC.

I use MyHTPC with Sky/terrestrial but there are some mentions in the forums
about people using it with NTL.

I have only just started using GB-PVR and am very impressed with this too.
In conjunction with my Hauppauge PVR-350 the software allows me to not only
record TV using the free EPG but also display my desktop on the TV without
switching to my graphic cards output.