Current PVRs - a question of time flexibility

Old January 20th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Gardner

Default Current PVRs - a question of time flexibility

How flexible are the current generation of PVRs on timings of recordings?

I'm thinking principally of the $kyplus PVR. Can you set it to record (say)
the last fifteen minutes of a 1-hour programme every night? Or is it pretty
rigid about recording the whole programme - as set out in the epg?

What about the DTT PVR boxes - eg Pace twin?

Old January 20th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Yannick

Simon Gardner wrote:
How flexible are the current generation of PVRs on timings of recordings?

I'm thinking principally of the $kyplus PVR. Can you set it to record (say)
the last fifteen minutes of a 1-hour programme every night? Or is it pretty
rigid about recording the whole programme - as set out in the epg?

What about the DTT PVR boxes - eg Pace twin?

With Tivo if you use the EPG it's the whole prog. If you set a manual
record you can specify what ever timings you want. I would expect the
other PVR 'wannabes' work the same if they use an EPG.

Phil

Old January 20th 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ric

With Tivo if you use the EPG it's the whole prog. If you set a manual
record you can specify what ever timings you want. I would expect the
other PVR 'wannabes' work the same if they use an EPG.

Yeah, otherwise what would be the point of the EPG? The idea is that it
tapes the program you ask it to tape. You should expect it to do the whole
program from start to end and even make amends if the schedule changes after
you set it.

Old January 21st 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Ric" wrote:

With Tivo if you use the EPG it's the whole prog. If you set a manual
record you can specify what ever timings you want. I would expect the
other PVR 'wannabes' work the same if they use an EPG.

Yeah, otherwise what would be the point of the EPG?

As a servant and not a master?

The idea is that it
tapes the program you ask it to tape.

So if I want to tape the fifteen minutes of $ky News just before midnight
and the 15 minutes of News 21 from 12:15 to 12:30? Which I do. Or
equivalent spots Sat and Sun mornings? Which I also do.

You should expect it to do the whole
program from start to end and even make amends if the schedule changes after
you set it.

Not if I tell it not to I don't.

Anyway, thanks for the explicit answer and a firm reason not to get either
a $kyplus or a Pace twin.

Old January 21st 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
MG

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:11:00 +0000, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon
Gardner) wrote:

In article ,
"Ric" wrote:

With Tivo if you use the EPG it's the whole prog. If you set a manual
record you can specify what ever timings you want. I would expect the
other PVR 'wannabes' work the same if they use an EPG.

Yeah, otherwise what would be the point of the EPG?

As a servant and not a master?

The idea is that it
tapes the program you ask it to tape.

So if I want to tape the fifteen minutes of $ky News just before midnight
and the 15 minutes of News 21 from 12:15 to 12:30? Which I do. Or
equivalent spots Sat and Sun mornings? Which I also do.

I do something similar on my TiVo.
I record 1755-1800 on News24 to get the weather, then 1800-1805 on BBC1 to
see their headlines.
These are set up as repeating manual recordings, and don't use the EPG at
all.

You should expect it to do the whole
program from start to end and even make amends if the schedule changes after
you set it.

Not if I tell it not to I don't.

Anyway, thanks for the explicit answer and a firm reason not to get either
a $kyplus or a Pace twin.

This did put me off at first, but after 18 months of TiVo use, I only use
the manual mode for this one pair of events. Everything else is done
through the EPG.

I know you can do manual recordings with the Pace Twin, since it doesn't
have much of an EPG yet.
Don't know about the Sky+.

HTH,

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Gregory
(Remove .nospam to reply)
Old January 21st 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Gardner

In article ,
MG wrote:

So if I want to record the fifteen minutes of
$ky News just before midnight and the
15 minutes of News 21 from 12:15 to 12:30?
Which I do. Or equivalent spots Sat
and Sun mornings? Which I also do.

I do something similar on my TiVo.
I record 1755-1800 on News24 to get the weather, then 1800-1805 on BBC1 to
see their headlines.
These are set up as repeating manual recordings, and don't use the EPG at
all.

That's the idea...

You should expect it to do the whole
program from start to end and even make amends if the schedule changes after
you set it.

Not if I tell it not to I don't.

Anyway, thanks for the explicit answer and a firm reason not to get either
a $kyplus or a Pace twin.

This did put me off at first, but after 18 months of TiVo use, I only use
the manual mode for this one pair of events. Everything else is done
through the EPG.

Sure. I want the flexibility to do either.

I know you can do manual recordings with the Pace Twin, since it doesn't
have much of an EPG yet.

OK. Might look at that, then.

Don't know about the Sky+.

Me neither. Only PVR I own is neither TIVO, $kyplus nor DTT Pace. It
certainly permits me to do "manually set" timed recordings if I want.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

(Simon Gardner) wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the explicit answer and a firm reason not to get either
a $kyplus or a Pace twin.

Why is that a reason not to get it? It can do what you want.
Old January 22nd 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:07:20 +0000, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

Me neither. Only PVR I own is neither TIVO, $kyplus nor DTT Pace.

What PVR is that? Is it a pc-based solution? Make makes it a PVR?