My ideal item...

Old January 19th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul D.Smith

Default My ideal item...

I got thinking about the Pace Twin and then onto what would be my ideal
item. So here's a wish list. If anyone has some useful links, perhaps they
could let me know. Alternatively, if there are any manufacturers looking
for a product to build ;-).

1. Uses off-the-shelf products to build
2. Twin digital tuners so can "watch and record" OR
3. [Optional] Ability to record entire data stream and demultiplex later so
I can record lots of channels at once.
4. DVD player built in.
5. DVD recorder built in.
6. Ability to record to DVD in "local" format for archiving.
7. Ability to record to DVD in "true DVD" format.
8. Easy to use interface via the TV screen.
9. Support for on-line TV guide.
10. [Optional] Ability to stream picture to other rooms over internal LAN.
11. Diagnostics mode so when Disney DVDs don't play, I can find out why!
12. add your wish here!

Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old January 19th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:11:24 -0000, Paul D.Smith
wrote:

[...]

Hmm, several wishes:

Easy to use (and full-featured) text control language via serial port,
LAN (telnet) or both.

Easy to use web interface (again supporting all features).

SCART inputs (RGB, composite, S-video, stereo audio) for cable/satellite
input.

NICAM encoder for RF output (to other rooms etc.).

Able to turn TV on-screen displays on or off and still be usable via LAN
and/or serial port.

Programmable (LAN/serial) on-screen displays for titling and 'pop-up'.

Actually, having those and not having DTT decoders would be fine with me
(as a DVR).

Oh yes, add:

Reasonable price (a few hundred, not thousand, pounds). TiVo managed
most of the hardware needed for 200 quid or less retail, the DVD and
tuner stuff shouldn't more than double that.

Chris C