Tivo wanted for NTL digital. Absolute newbie

Old January 14th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
NeilG

Default Tivo wanted for NTL digital. Absolute newbie

Hi,

Apologies for posting a message like this but I really dont know where
to start. I want SKY + but have NTL and was wondering if Tivo can give
me a similar service. I have a NTL digital reciver (I think its PACE)
- its the blue purple one everyone seems to have.

For starters, if I buy a Tivo box do I need to pay Tivo a
susbscription? I looked on the site and for 10 a month I seem to just
get a program guide. Is this essential?

How much are the Tivo boxes?

How does it integrate with NTL? Do programs start recording when they
actually start or when they shoudl start etc. How does it switch
channels on my NTL box (remote?) etc.

I guess what Im really asking for is any advice on this. Sky + seems
amazingly well integrated (though the HD is too small).

Many thanks,

Neil
Old January 14th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Iain Miller

"NeilG" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Apologies for posting a message like this but I really dont know where
to start. I want SKY + but have NTL and was wondering if Tivo can give
me a similar service. I have a NTL digital reciver (I think its PACE)
- its the blue purple one everyone seems to have.

For starters, if I buy a Tivo box do I need to pay Tivo a
susbscription? I looked on the site and for 10 a month I seem to just
get a program guide. Is this essential?

How much are the Tivo boxes?

How does it integrate with NTL? Do programs start recording when they
actually start or when they shoudl start etc. How does it switch
channels on my NTL box (remote?) etc.

I guess what Im really asking for is any advice on this. Sky + seems
amazingly well integrated (though the HD is too small).

I use a Tivo with NTL - it works fine though you need the extra "Dongle" to
deal with the IRDa remote that the NTL boxes use. That said there are 3 NTL
boxes - pace 1000, 2000 & 4000. The 4000 may not need the dongle since its
supposed to accept both kinds of remote. If you want to get the most out of
the Tivo then yes you do need the sub - probably better to buy the 199
lifetime sub if you can afford it and have done with it. The sub also allows
the series links to work. WIthout the sub you can just pause live TV and use
the thing as a basic VCR I think (and suffer an nag screen everytime you
turn the box on!)

Your first problem will be finding a Tivo - they arn't made anymore for the
UK. Your best bet will be something like E-bay - there are generally a few
on there though they command something of a premium from the last new ones
that were sold off (I got mine for 99 from Comet). The dongle you get from
Sky for about 30.

Standard UK Tivo is 40 hours basic/11 hours at best quality (single 40Gb
drive). This can be upgraded as far as 280 hours basic/80 hours best with
various steps in between with the addition of larger disks - it will take
2x120Gb at maximum. You can also get network cards for them in addition to
wireless networking & then run a webserver app that allows you to
program/delete stuff from your PC. Mass tagging & deletion is very handy
indeed when you need to have a bit of a clear up!

Upgrading the Tivo is not as simple as upgrading a sky+ box - it requires
you to do a bit of work with Linux but there are plenty of websites around
that will tell you how. The Hinsdale guide is probably the best
http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html

Once Tivo'd you'll never go back!

HTH

I.

Old January 14th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Laurence

Iain Miller wrote:

Standard UK Tivo is 40 hours basic/11 hours at best quality (single
40Gb drive). This can be upgraded as far as 280 hours basic/80 hours
best with various steps in between with the addition of larger disks
- it will take 2x120Gb at maximum.

....with the standard kernel. If you upgrade to an LBA48 aware kernel you
can install larger disks. See the Underground forum at
www.tivocommunity.com for details.

Laurence

Old January 15th 04, 08:38 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:30:44 -0000, "Iain Miller" wrote:

"NeilG" wrote in message
[...]

There are also 4001 and 4010 boxes which also don't need a dongle - STB type depends on your area.

An alternative to the Tivo dongle is a Red-Eye translator www.redremote.co.uk