Add PVR capability to home PC

Old January 10th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Beacon

Default Add PVR capability to home PC

I'd like to add PVR capability to my home PC, currently a Compaq Presario
S3190UK (http://www.hp-expo.com/uk/eng/produc...c/df131a.html).

In addition to PVR functionality I want to be able to copy old analogue
camcorder footage from VHS and directly from the Video 8 camcorder itself.
This I'll archive to DVD+R/+RW.

What I want most from the PVR is for it to automatically record films and
programmes from UK terrestrial TV (and maybe in the future from
satellite/Freeview) according to my interests, presumably defined using
keywords. The idea being that when I do get chance to sit and watch
television I'll have something worth seeing. I'm not having much luck
figuring out which software package/EPG provider/cost combination is the
best. I want to obtain the EPG through my broadband connection rather than
dial-up. I'd want to be able to switch between EPG providers to ensure I
don't get locked-in.

I've a preference for USB 2.0 connectivity which has led me to see details
on the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB 2.0
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/html/pvr_prod.htm#pvrusb2 and Pinnacle PCTV
Deluxe
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...08&Langue_ID=2.

Q Has anyone used these products for the purposes I've described and can
recommend them? What restrictions over EPG providers do the software
packages impose and what has been the service from those EPG providers?

For playback I'll need to use a video sender (for example, the
http://www.thomson-europe.co.uk/Prod... categoryID=AC)
as the PC video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440) looks like it has an S-Video
TV out, otherwise I probably should look at a PC to TV video sender like
http://www.digisender.net/dv200.htm

Chrs
Beacon

Old January 11th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
One2Go

"Beacon" wrote in
news
onnectivity which has led me to see details

Pinnacle is excellent together with Studio 8.5 as your software. It will do
the job for getting the footage of the tapes.

As regarding the PVR I believe the Nebula card has the edge on the
competition because of its features.

One2Go
Old January 11th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Beacon

"One2Go" wrote in message
"Beacon" wrote in

news

As regarding the PVR I believe the Nebula card has the edge on the
competition because of its features.

Thanks for the recommendation on Pinnacle and pointer to Nebula -
http://www.nebula-electronics.com/index.asp

I hadn't considered a separate device for the PVR, nor one that is digital
input only. I'll have a think, but I was hoping to have only the one device
as much to get the best use out of it as well as minimise the number of
peripherals I already have.

Beacon