Tivo - A delay in changing channels

Old January 10th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
WorcsBoy

Default Tivo - A delay in changing channels

Hello All,

I have a thomson Tivo and I have been very pleased with it since it's
purchase.
I am finding a problem with a delay in changing the channels now.
If I record a programme it will begin recording at the set time but will not
change over the channel until a few minutes later.
I sometimes miss the first opening of the programme when it does this.
Is anyone else experiencing the same problem with their Tivo or has sorted
it out since.
Any info would be great.
Cheers.
Adam

--
"You're terrible Muriel" - Jonie Heslop, from Muriel's Wedding, 1995

Old January 10th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin Reilly

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 WorcsBoy wrote:

I am finding a problem with a delay in changing the channels now.
If I record a programme it will begin recording at the set time but will not
change over the channel until a few minutes later.

Are you sure it's minutes? What input source are you using? Sky? Cable?

My NTL digital STB has a short delay between receiving the last digit of
a channel change and the channel actually changing. This is obviously
down to the STB waiting to see if any more digits are coming before
interpreting the change request.

Because TiVo starts recording as soon as it's sent the last digit, it
invariably records a couple of seconds of whatever the STB was tuned to
previously before recording the rest of the (hopefully) correct channel.

If you really are seeing delays measured in minutes, there are a few
things you could try. A lot will depend on what kind of source you're
using, but a common problem with ignored IR commands is that there's
some other source of IR interference in the room. TiVo will not send IR
commands if it detects ambient IR already 'in the air'. Do you have
remote control extenders or anything similar in the room? Maybe there's
a remote control jammed down the side of a chair with a key pressed?

If you can't get to the bottom of this you might consider posting your
question on the TiVo UK forum of TiVo Community (www.tivocommunity.com).
I'm not normally a big fan of web-based discussion groups, preferring
usenet, but this one really is worth subscribing. There are lots of very
friendly and knowledgeable guys in there.

--
Kev
"Mars must be one of the most inhospitable places on earth."
Old January 10th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:15:38 +0000, Kevin Reilly
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 WorcsBoy wrote:

I am finding a problem with a delay in changing the channels now.
If I record a programme it will begin recording at the set time but will not
change over the channel until a few minutes later.

Are you sure it's minutes? What input source are you using? Sky? Cable?

My NTL digital STB has a short delay between receiving the last digit of
a channel change and the channel actually changing. This is obviously
down to the STB waiting to see if any more digits are coming before
interpreting the change request.

Along these lines, perhaps the OP could let us know if he wants to get
BBC 1, for example, Does he dial 001, or does he dial just the digit
1?

If he needs to dial 001, is TiVo dialling 1, or 01? If TiVo isn't
dialling enough 0's, then he'll need to re-run that part of the
contoller setup.

--Nick.
--
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?
Fax: +44 (0) 7974 984182 --- icq: 9235201 --- Hayn on dal
Old January 11th 04, 03:59 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick Austin

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "WorcsBoy"
wrote:

I am finding a problem with a delay in changing the channels now.
If I record a programme it will begin recording at the set time but will not
change over the channel until a few minutes later.

Does it change channel OK in "Live TV" mode?

Nick.

Old January 11th 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 04:59:59 +0000, Nick Austin
wrote:

I am finding a problem with a delay in changing the channels now.
If I record a programme it will begin recording at the set time but will not
change over the channel until a few minutes later.

Does it change channel OK in "Live TV" mode?

Gosh, you're not me!

I sat here thinking "I never wrote that" for a full 20 seconds.

--Nick.
Old January 11th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Curi-ous

"Kevin Reilly" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 WorcsBoy wrote:

If you really are seeing delays measured in minutes, there are a few
things you could try. A lot will depend on what kind of source you're
using, but a common problem with ignored IR commands is that there's
some other source of IR interference in the room. TiVo will not send IR
commands if it detects ambient IR already 'in the air'. Do you have
remote control extenders or anything similar in the room? Maybe there's
a remote control jammed down the side of a chair with a key pressed?

I would go along with that. I sometimes find this happens while my
digisender is switched on.

Old January 11th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
WorcsBoy

Hey Guys,
Thanks for taking the time to offer solutions to this problem.
I have recently bought a phillips video sender and the problem has only
started doing this since I bought it - so on reflection, I think it is this
that is causing the problem.
I will turn it off for a few days and see if this helps matters at all.
Thanks again for the advice!

Old January 12th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Carter

I have a Philips digi/video sender thing and it does seem to interfere with
sending IR via the TiVo - Dongle - STB - it's like the IR command is "on
hold" somewhere and when I switch off the digi/video sender, the STB starts
receiving the IR signals to change channel.

You might also find that when using the TiVo remote via the digi/video
sender to change channel, it doesn't seem to do it and no longer reponds to
TiVo remote commands for a good few minutes. I think it's to do with the IR
problem again - the way around it is to highlight a program that's being
broadcast via Now Playing on the channel you want and pressing Record -
seems to work.

Old January 14th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick Austin

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:54:58 +0000 (UTC), "WorcsBoy"
wrote:

Hey Guys,
Thanks for taking the time to offer solutions to this problem.
I have recently bought a phillips video sender and the problem has only
started doing this since I bought it - so on reflection, I think it is this
that is causing the problem.
I will turn it off for a few days and see if this helps matters at all.
Thanks again for the advice!

Try re-positioning the video sender ariels and/or use a different
video sender channel.

Nick.