MythTV and PVR 250

Old January 7th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike

Default MythTV and PVR 250

Hi

Has anyone out there in the UK built a MythTV system with a Hauppauge
PVR 250 (or 350)? I had a go myself at the weekend and found it a very
frustrating experience. However, contrary to previous posts, the
problem wasn't that the installation of the app being difficult. I
used Jarrod's guide - apt-get ensures that the installation of the
MythTV system (and all dependencies) is handled is a nice one-liner:
apt-get install mythtv-suite

The hard part (for me) was getting the PVR-250 to function correctly.
The driver seemed to be really flaky.

I will be posting this to the relevant mailing lists but thought I'd
ask here first, as all I probably need is a correctly configured
/etc/modules.conf and it'll work like a dream.

Thanks and Regards

Mike
Old January 7th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Exner

I have a Hauppauge WinTV250 using Snapstream PVS. (Or BeyondTV as they call
it now)
After an email to tech support, they had me use their new 'beta' drives, and
it works, but you're right ... it is a pain.

Chris

om...

Old January 7th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike

Chris

Thanks for that. However, the Snapstream runs on Windows, doesn't it?
MythTV runs on Linux and that's what I'm havnig problems on

Thanks anyway

Mike

Old January 8th 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Exner

I realize that -- my point was that Hauppauge cards, while great, are not
the easiest hardware to install. As you said, the drivers are flaky -- and
I would agree with that. Even Windows (like it or not) is the most common
OS, so if those don't work well....

One other thing that the guy from their support said was try it in a
different PCI slot ... try them all, then run the set up over and over again
.... I don't know why that makes a difference...

Chris

om...

Old January 12th 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Michael Painter

Hi Mike,
I'm not in the UK but I have gotten the pvr-350 driver to work. I'm
assuming you are using debian. I've never used debian before but I do use
redhat and that makes things a little harder than normal. What exactly are
you having difficulties with? I've only had the card for 3 days now so I
don't know how stable the driver is yet but I did manage to get about five
hours of broadcast tv without a problem. If you have any questions I may
be able to help

Regards,
Michael

Old February 17th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Alan secker

Mike wrote:
Hi

Has anyone out there in the UK built a MythTV system with a Hauppauge
PVR 250 (or 350)? I had a go myself at the weekend and found it a very
frustrating experience. However, contrary to previous posts, the
problem wasn't that the installation of the app being difficult. I
used Jarrod's guide - apt-get ensures that the installation of the
MythTV system (and all dependencies) is handled is a nice one-liner:
apt-get install mythtv-suite

The hard part (for me) was getting the PVR-250 to function correctly.
The driver seemed to be really flaky.

I will be posting this to the relevant mailing lists but thought I'd
ask here first, as all I probably need is a correctly configured
/etc/modules.conf and it'll work like a dream.

Thanks and Regards

Mike

No, I haven't either.
I have a Mandrake 9.2 system. I probably approached this wrongly. I
startec with the MythTV README file and gradually accumulateed all the
files and resolved the dependencies.

The next stage was para 22.1 from www.mythtv,org/docs/. This relates to
the Hauppauge PVR 250/350.

I downloaded pvr250_17_21288.exe to a Windows partition. While
attempting to copy it to a Linux partition, I must have double-clicked
it. To my amazement, it installed. I've no idea how. I don't have wine
installed.

The next stae was the Makefile in the ivtv/driver directory. I made the
changes set out in the text and compiled. OK so far.

Next the test_ioctl program. At that stage things went awry. It's too
late to check why right now but I would like to compare note with you as
I move on if that's OK with you.

Alan Secker