Pace Twin picture

Old January 6th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

Default Pace Twin picture

Got my hands on one today, and I must say the picture is a pixellated mess (compared
to my current setpal box). Is this normal? Also its blurry in the centre. How old is the mpeg2
decoder in these boxes?

Old January 6th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Damo

Hi,

If its got the March software on it then the picture is a little blurred
near the edges. This was cured in a update in June.

They are running a re-run of the October software from 10am this Thursday so
that will cure you're blurred picture problems and a few other bugs.

If its pixelating it could be due to a low signal. One aerial is feeding two
tuners now.

HTH,

Damian

.. .

Old January 6th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

signal isn't low, im 1 mile from Wenvoe. its about 70-80. also I get
60 from Mendip.
setpal really blows this away. pity I cant use the tuner in the pace.
the blurring is really at the centre, and its really bloody odd.

"Damo" wrote in message ...
Hi,

If its got the March software on it then the picture is a little blurred
near the edges. This was cured in a update in June.

They are running a re-run of the October software from 10am this Thursday so
that will cure you're blurred picture problems and a few other bugs.

If its pixelating it could be due to a low signal. One aerial is feeding two
tuners now.

HTH,

Damian

.. .

Old January 6th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Damo

Whilst I can't guarantee it I'm sure the picture bluriness will go when the
software is updated.

Mine was quite different (much sharper) after the update.

As for the pixellation I'm not sure, mine seems fine, same quality as the
IDTV and sharper than Sky.

Damian

.. .

"Damo" wrote in message

Hi,

If its got the March software on it then the picture is a little blurred
near the edges. This was cured in a update in June.

They are running a re-run of the October software from 10am this

Thursday so
that will cure you're blurred picture problems and a few other bugs.

If its pixelating it could be due to a low signal. One aerial is feeding

two
tuners now.

HTH,

Damian

.. .

Old January 6th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

"Damo" wrote in message ...
Whilst I can't guarantee it I'm sure the picture bluriness will go when the
software is updated.

Mine was quite different (much sharper) after the update.

As for the pixellation I'm not sure, mine seems fine, same quality as the
IDTV and sharper than Sky.

Damian

Hmm. Compared to Daewoo its rubbish. Daewoo is comparable to DVD on high
bitrate channels/events(like movies on itv). Seems this box cant handle low bitrates.
Maybe the non-setpal crowd are too used to low quality DTT.

Old January 6th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave Spam

nick wrote:

"Damo" wrote in message ...

Whilst I can't guarantee it I'm sure the picture bluriness will go when the
software is updated.

Mine was quite different (much sharper) after the update.

As for the pixellation I'm not sure, mine seems fine, same quality as the
IDTV and sharper than Sky.

Damian

Hmm. Compared to Daewoo its rubbish. Daewoo is comparable to DVD on high
bitrate channels/events(like movies on itv). Seems this box cant handle low bitrates.
Maybe the non-setpal crowd are too used to low quality DTT.

The update due on Thursday will cure the blurriness, 'cos it did on mine.
As to the pixilation, I have a couple of Daewoo boxes here and a Pace
twin fed from a distrubution amp and an external aerial( 20 ish miles
north of Sandy Heath). Picutures are very good, with the Pace better
that the Daewoo by a country mile.
Your problem might be excessive signal level. Try fitting an attenuator
in the aerial feed (cue Bill!) just before the Pace. Try about 9dB.
These are available from Maplin (IIRC) and your friendly local aerial
fitter.
Dave

--
My opinions are just that, check the facts carefully before
acting on my advice.

Old January 6th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

"Dave Spam" wrote in message ...
nick wrote:

"Damo" wrote in message ...

[...]

I appreciate it Dave but I really dont think its signal levels at all, cos I have
choice of two transmitters, one strong one medium, and also when I vary the strength
it makes no difference to the picture. This box is just crap at anything except high bitrate.
When I say crap I mean I notice pixels on a 21" screen. I dont notice pixels on a 28" w/s with the
setpal. What levels are you getting with Pace Twin? Right now its 54/57.
Remains to be seen if a firmware upgrade will change that, myself I doubt it.

Old January 6th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Landregan

"nick" wrote in message
.. .

"Dave Spam" wrote in message

nick wrote:

"Damo" wrote in message

[...]

I have a 32" widescreen, and don't notice any pixilation at all. About 35
miles northeast of Rowridge on a 16 user communal aerial.
Signal level about 50%. Error reading 1.000E-9

Old January 6th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
nick

I have a 32" widescreen, and don't notice any pixilation at all. About 35
miles northeast of Rowridge on a 16 user communal aerial.
Signal level about 50%. Error reading 1.000E-9

No blocks on any chan? They are very noticable on mine on single colour
scenery like walls. Must be a problem decoding. What firmware are you on?

Old January 6th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Landregan

"nick" wrote in message
.. .

I have a 32" widescreen, and don't notice any pixilation at all. About

35
miles northeast of Rowridge on a 16 user communal aerial.
Signal level about 50%. Error reading 1.000E-9

No blocks on any chan? They are very noticable on mine on single colour
scenery like walls. Must be a problem decoding. What firmware are you on?

The one supplied, I bought it on Saturday. Waiting for the update on
Thursday.