Tivo upgrade which hard drive?

Old December 29th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Graeme

Default Tivo upgrade which hard drive?

I have a Tivo and think that my new years project will be to upgrade
it with a bigger hard drive.
I have had a read through some of the forums and know what I need to
do but the only real question I have is which make / model of Hard
drive is the 'current favourite' and also is 120 Gig still the
prefered size, Many thanks
Graeme

Old December 30th 03, 08:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Graeme wrote:

I have had a read through some of the forums and know what I need to
do but the only real question I have is which make / model of Hard
drive is the 'current favourite' and also is 120 Gig still the
prefered size,

120Gb is indeed the most common upgrade size. You can modify the Linux
kernel to use larger drives but this isn't common.

Personally I would always go first for a drive that has a three year
warranty and is quiet and cool. The Tivo makes little or no use of
high spin speeds or large caches. There may be Qunlock issues with
some recent models of a particular drive and you should study the
TivoCommunity web forum for info on this.

Samsung drives seem to fit all requirements and have no particular
drawbacks so far. The three year warranty is the clincher.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/tez5
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old December 30th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul

In ,
Jomtien typed:
Graeme wrote:

I have had a read through some of the forums and know what I need to
do but the only real question I have is which make / model of Hard
drive is the 'current favourite' and also is 120 Gig still the
prefered size,

120Gb is indeed the most common upgrade size. You can modify the Linux
kernel to use larger drives but this isn't common.

Personally I would always go first for a drive that has a three year
warranty and is quiet and cool. The Tivo makes little or no use of
high spin speeds or large caches. There may be Qunlock issues with
some recent models of a particular drive and you should study the
TivoCommunity web forum for info on this.

Samsung drives seem to fit all requirements and have no particular
drawbacks so far. The three year warranty is the clincher.

I just fitted a 120gb 8mb seagate barracuda, and am very impressed. TiVo
runs faster (ok i cant tell if thats any different to any other 120gb drive
out there, but its my experience in any case). But best of all - its
silent - the original drive was a right bucket of bolts in comparision!

Paul

Old December 30th 03, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
[email protected]

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:01:08 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

Graeme wrote:

I have had a read through some of the forums and know what I need to
do but the only real question I have is which make / model of Hard
drive is the 'current favourite' and also is 120 Gig still the
prefered size,

120Gb is indeed the most common upgrade size. You can modify the Linux
kernel to use larger drives but this isn't common.

Personally I would always go first for a drive that has a three year
warranty and is quiet and cool. The Tivo makes little or no use of
high spin speeds or large caches. There may be Qunlock issues with
some recent models of a particular drive and you should study the
TivoCommunity web forum for info on this.

Samsung drives seem to fit all requirements and have no particular
drawbacks so far. The three year warranty is the clincher.

You don't need a 7200rpm drive. It's a waste of speed, hotter,
noisier. 5400 will do. Faster drives offer no advantage. You will
notice a significant slowing in menu operation speed due to bigger
drives but it has nothing to do with drive speed.

MJ
Old December 30th 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Karen

I just fitted a 120gb 8mb seagate barracuda, and am very impressed. TiVo
runs faster (ok i cant tell if thats any different to any other 120gb

drive
out there, but its my experience in any case). But best of all - its
silent - the original drive was a right bucket of bolts in comparision!

Paul

We've also got the same and had no problems whatsoever with it.
If you have computer fairs near you, try there. 120gb HDD are currently
about 55/ 57.

http://www.computermarkets.co.uk/

Old January 2nd 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
the Omrud

spake thus:

Graeme wrote:

[...]

It's certainly true that you don't *need* a 7200 rpm drive, but
there's no reason to avoid them, especially as 5400 rpm drives are
now becoming less common. I fitted a Maxtor 120 Gb about a year ago
- it runs silently at 7200 and the temperature gauge currently shows
33 degrees C.

--
David
=====