PVR EPGs & Source Data

Old December 13th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Andy Jenkins

Default PVR EPGs & Source Data

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new PVR to replace my existing Sony DVD Player
& much loved Tivo. I've been looking at various reviews of the few
devices that are DVDR & HDD etc, but one thing I've noticed in all
reviews is

a) lack of screenshots of the EPGs
&
b) how the devices get their source data for recording TV shows (in my
case terrestrial and SkyD).

Any comments on this ? Currently, my TiVo has, as your probably aware
if your reading this, data provided by Tribune, and collated either
via Internet or a modem dialup facility. How do other devices get
their data ? Is it a manual record only ? ie Monday 7:30 until 8pm on
BBC1 etc ?

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old December 14th 03, 12:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

In article ,
Andy Jenkins wrote:

a) lack of screenshots of the EPGs
&
b) how the devices get their source data for recording TV shows (in my
case terrestrial and SkyD).

Both devices have manuals which can be downloaded off the web
in .PDF form. See the manufacturers' sites.

Old December 14th 03, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Andy Jenkins wrote:

b) how the devices get their source data for recording TV shows (in my
case terrestrial and SkyD).

Philips DVD recorders can use the Gemplus data transmitted on ITV
(terrestrial only?). Nearly all modern PVRs (except the Tivo) will
react to the Sky Digital personal planner autoview feature, however
there is an issue with this in that the PP autoview only works on the
digibox VCR output and that output has no RGB.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/tez5
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old December 14th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Andrew Hodgson

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:01:00 +0000, Andy Jenkins
wrote:

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new PVR to replace my existing Sony DVD Player
& much loved Tivo. I've been looking at various reviews of the few
devices that are DVDR & HDD etc, but one thing I've noticed in all
reviews is

[...]
&
b) how the devices get their source data for recording TV shows (in my
case terrestrial and SkyD).

Freeview: Not really possible at the moment unless you use manually
inputted times. Though this will change soon when they get their 7day
EPG running sometime next year.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old December 15th 03, 02:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

In article ,
Andy Jenkins wrote:

Both devices have manuals which can be downloaded off the web
in .PDF form. See the manufacturers' sites.

thanks for the reply, but I didnt list any devices that I'm
considering a purchase of.

Since there are only two PVRs for terrestrial TV we already
know which ones you're considering !

Both of them will allow one-touch recording from the EPG
(currently limited to now & next) and will also allow VCR-style
setups for programmes further in the future, with repeats.