Buying a Freeview PVR --- Which? Are Pace as bad as they sound?

Old December 11th 03, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.misc
Patrick Navin

Default Buying a Freeview PVR --- Which? Are Pace as bad as they sound?

Steve Firth wrote:

Patrick Navin wrote:

in the same way that ignoring a smiley is a sign of a sense of humour
failure?

Only witless ****s use smileys. HTH.

Interesting how your response and your sig are in conflict, but I guess
a cheap insult is easier than a constructive argument for a braindead
cretin. Thanks for your time anyway.

--
Patrick

"I did the grabs via a Duomix61 grabber as used by 'security sources'"
"I never grabbed them on a PC mate -they went via IE56575 to a fancy
technical thingie grabber -or something" - un-named Video capture 'expert'

Old December 11th 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Patrick Navin

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

Maybe due to the fact you and others were given relevant pointers by
others which Steve had read? As has been said, there are groups for
beginners and groups that are not tolerant of people who don't follow
the conventions when asked to do so. This thread is xposted to
uk.misc which is one of these.

Steve is quite clearly up himself to such a degree that he considers
politesse unecessary. Personally I still believe in respecting other
folk, whether on Usenet or in 'real life'. It's plainly obvious that
'real life' and the denizens of uk.misc are mutually exclusive.

Oh well, fortunately it's not a group I frequent, except fot the unhappy
accident of the OP's crosspost, which I initially missed.

The notion of 'beginners' groups and 'non beginners' groups is, frankly,
hilarious. A level of self importance that I didn't think even Usenet
could reach.

Goodnight.

Old December 11th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.misc
Richard Watkinson

In message
"Brownie" wrote:

"Patrick Navin" wrote in message

Right now the choice is the Pace Twin or the Humax P8000T. Both are in
the shops, prices are about 229 for the Twin and 180 for the Humax.
The Twin has two tuners so gets my vote.

Ian, I was in two minds for weeks trawling the newsgroups and forums. You
end up convinced that the Twin is inoperable.

I've just bought one after discounting the Humax as it didn't even seem to
be able to play and record and it required an 'experiment' from a Humax
engineer to confirm it did. The Pace seems to have a hell of a following.

I've only been using it a few days and 'it just bloody works' despite having
the original software. This weekend brings an over air update.

If you wnat one now the Pace is 'OK'. Quality is great and time shifting is
great. The other posters have said what the issues are. If you don't want
to buy yet then spring, maybe summer will bring 2-3 boxes. I find the 10
hour record time is a little restrictive but to be honest most programmes
are watched and dumped and I can archive to DVD or record straight to DVD
from the same aerial so it's a minor point.

Agree entirely. Things have gone loopy now and again but I've only lost
one recording in 9 months and I can't rule out incompetence on my part
for that one.

I've had a couple of very strange instances where the sound was missing
BUT not in preview mode and in one it appeared after about 10 minutes.

No, Twins really is a good piece of kit. Overpriced? Possibly but it is
a DTT reciever and high quality recorder all in one.

Since having Twins I hardly use the VCR except when I want to record 2
programs at once. Furthermore I can program Twins to record digital
radio and that is very handy.

Richard Watkinson
Old December 11th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.misc
Richard Watkinson

In message
"Vic" wrote:

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message

My gut feeling six months ago was that I wanted a Pace Twin Digital.
But ince then, everything I read about it says that the software is as
buggy as hell, regular updates haven't fixed the serious problems, there
are hardware modifications required (the ``audio buzz mod''), the ones
on sale still have March's software even though there's a six week
update cycle, etc, etc. In short, the classic British ``ISO 9001 ---
We've Heard Of It'' attitude to quality. I gather there's an update due
out this weekend, so if I move quickly I could spend 210 quid and take
pot luck on the software. But do I want to buy a box whose
manufacturers appear to struggle to support it?

I have the Pace Twin and although there are bugs in the software, I find these
fairly minor in normal operation. I would certainly not call it "buggy as hell".
The major ones (like the soft focus in the centre of the picture) have been
sorted with the last update and there is another update due on Saturday 13th
December.

It all comes down to what you expect to do with it. We do a lot of time-shift
viewing because we're out a lot, and for that it's ideal. The ability to program
weekly or daily repeat recording for a set number of episodes is great. The
quality is good (much better than VHS) because it records the incoming data
stream, so the pictures off the disk look identical to ones received off-air.
The twin tuners are an excellent idea, and so is the ability to pause live
viewing.

The EPG is rubbish, but that is not Pace's fault - Freeview don't transmit it.
In the 3 months that I've had the Twin, it has locked up twice (required to pe
unpowered and then powered up again) but it has never lost a recording or failed
to record.

The 10hr disk size is not too much of a drawback, and you can always incresase
it if you feel so inclined - this has been documented here some time ago.

Maybe other users have had bad experiences, but as I say, in normal day to day
use, it is perfectly satisfactory.

Vic

At last we are getting some sensible comments from genuine Twins users
instead of the endless bickering from those who are not prepared to live
with a developing technology or have nothing better to do than carp.

Twins is great and if you can get one for 230 it is a snip. The hard
drive size really is no hardship, believe me. If it has become full
then in all probability you won't have enough time to watch what you've
saved and keep up with live broadcasts.

If it is a case of saving a program for posterity (or whatever) then no
hard drive will ever do the job. I this case an archive to DVD, VHS or
audio cassette is the solution. I've archived numerous radio
programmes (ISIHAC) to cassette and only 1 TV programme in 9 months.

Richard Watkinson
Old December 12th 03, 07:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Patrick Navin

Richard Watkinson wrote:

At last we are getting some sensible comments from genuine Twins users
instead of the endless bickering from those who are not prepared to live
with a developing technology or have nothing better to do than carp.

Indeed it was never my intention to get involved n a slagging match with
uk.misc. I don't really see the relevance of this post to that group (or
the relevance of that group per se)

Twins is great and if you can get one for 230 it is a snip. The hard
drive size really is no hardship, believe me. If it has become full
then in all probability you won't have enough time to watch what you've
saved and keep up with live broadcasts.

Having had my Twins since May, replacing a Tivo/Sky combination, I can
certainly say it is a great peiece of kit and my initial reservations
about disc size have not really been realised. I tend to watch soon
after recording or archive to dvd pretty quickly (that said, I have 6
episodes of "Little Britain" sitting there waiting to be archived!)

If it is a case of saving a program for posterity (or whatever) then no
hard drive will ever do the job. I this case an archive to DVD, VHS or
audio cassette is the solution. I've archived numerous radio
programmes (ISIHAC) to cassette and only 1 TV programme in 9 months.

For me, the Radio recording function is the killer app. I just wish I
didn't need the TV to choose a recording to playback (I switch it off
once playback commences). It'd be nice to have separate libraries - TV
and Radio - then choosing a "bank" of recordings would be easier without
the TV i.e. press library, then 1, then number from 1 - 100 for the
radio recording you want to play back.

Old January 3rd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Landregan

Richard Watkinson wrote:

At last we are getting some sensible comments from genuine Twins users
instead of the endless bickering from those who are not prepared to live
with a developing technology or have nothing better to do than carp.

Indeed it was never my intention to get involved n a slagging match with
uk.misc. I don't really see the relevance of this post to that group (or
the relevance of that group per se)

Twins is great and if you can get one for 230 it is a snip. The hard
drive size really is no hardship, believe me. If it has become full
then in all probability you won't have enough time to watch what you've
saved and keep up with live broadcasts.

SNIP

230 Doh, just paid 198 in Argos. LOL

Old January 3rd 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.misc
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Ian G Batten wrote:

My gut feeling six months ago was that I wanted a Pace Twin Digital.

Bought one. Buggy (Do repeats work? What does the display mean during
playback?) but appears to work OK.

ian