Dumb Redeye question

Old December 5th 03, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Anuk Su Namun

Default Dumb Redeye question

I seem to be in complete biff mode at the moment... I've read the Red-Eye
page and the FAQ (albeit late last night), and I'm a little confused about
whether it will work with my Pace 4000 Telewest.

The FAQ said something about the box understands both RC5 and IRDA codes,
therefore if it sees both (one right after the other) it can potentially
lock the thing out. Does this only happen if you use a Telewest remote
that sends RC5 codes? So if my remote uses IRDA then I'll be ok if I use
it or a programmable remote set to the "new" codes.

That sounds right to me, therefore I'll be ok... but I want to double
check before splashing out.
Old December 5th 03, 09:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ric

Effectively you have to commit to using one or the other. I use my Pronto
remote with my Pace 4000 and RC5. It works fine but if, for whatever
reason, I dig out the Pace remote (which uses IRDA) and do somthing, it goes
pear shaped for a bit and you have loads of trouble getting it to behave
properly with the RC5 commands after. As I say, the only way I know around
this is to stick to IRDA or RC5 and don't mix them.

I am led to beleive that this behaviour can vary from box to box so you may
be one of the lucky ones who has a box that doesn't have this problem - but
don't bank on it!

.. .

Old December 5th 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On 5 Dec 2003 09:01:22 GMT, Anuk Su Namun wrote:

I seem to be in complete biff mode at the moment... I've read the Red-Eye
page and the FAQ (albeit late last night), and I'm a little confused about
whether it will work with my Pace 4000 Telewest.

Yes it will.

The FAQ said something about the box understands both RC5 and IRDA codes,
therefore if it sees both (one right after the other) it can potentially
lock the thing out. Does this only happen if you use a Telewest remote
that sends RC5 codes?

As far as I know, no Telewest remote uses RC5. The only remotes I know of that send RC5 are the old
and new NTL blue ones.
The problem only applies to the specific RC5 codes for the pace 4000/4001 STBs, not RC5 codes in
general, so if your VCR or TV uses RC5, there is no problem.

So if my remote uses IRDA then I'll be ok if I use it or a programmable remote set to the "new" codes.

Yes.