Space Left ?

Old November 30th 03, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve

Default Space Left ?

Hi,

I have a TIVO and am trying to find a way of displaying the amount of free
space I have available on the recorder.

I have looked on system properties and cant see it anywhere.

Is this possible.

Also does anyone on here have any personal experience of upgrading the hard
drive in the TIVO to allow more storage. Is it a case of swapping the hard
drive for another one or is it more complicated than that ?

Many thanks

Steve

Old November 30th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Terry Eden

Steve wrote:
I have a TIVO and am trying to find a way of displaying the amount of
free space I have available on the recorder.
I have looked on system properties and cant see it anywhere.
Is this possible.

There are hacks to allow this, but it's not an exact science. TiVo will
only delete a program when it needs the space. And don't forget the amount
of "space" is dependant on the quality of the programmes to be recorded.

What I do is leave suggestions on (in Low Quality mode) - this gives me a
quick visual idea of how much program space there is.

Terry

Old November 30th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Laurence

Steve wrote:

...free space...

...upgrading the hard drive...

Have a look at www.tivocommunity.com - there's a web based add-on called
TiVoWeb that will show you free space. Upgrading the hard drive isn't too
painful as long as you've got a crowbar handy to get the lid off

Laurence

Old December 1st 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Carter

My friend and I upgraded both our TiVos to 120Gb disks - as alot of people
will say, getting the lid off is probably the hardest bit. The "Linux" part
of the upgrade is fairly easy - easier if you don't copy across the
recordings you have on your original disk.

Just a tip - when you connect the old and new disks to a PC for copying,
check, double-check and triple check the IDE cables for which disk is
plugged in where (referred to in Linux as "hda", "hdb", etc). We
inadvertently managed to wipe a PC disk and "TiVo" it - luckily it was a
120Gb disk anyway so I took that one, leaving a mate about 8 hours of work
to re-build his PC disk. Heh, he's over it now....

Old December 2nd 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Geoff Winkless

Carter wrote:
My friend and I upgraded both our TiVos to 120Gb disks - as alot of
people will say, getting the lid off is probably the hardest bit. The
"Linux" part of the upgrade is fairly easy - easier if you don't copy
across the recordings you have on your original disk.

I disagree: using mfstools v2 it was utterly painless, even copying over all
my recordings. Admittedly it took longer but it's still easy.

Just a tip - when you connect the old and new disks to a PC for
copying, check, double-check and triple check the IDE cables for
which disk is plugged in where (referred to in Linux as "hda", "hdb",
etc). We inadvertently managed to wipe a PC disk and "TiVo" it -
luckily it was a 120Gb disk anyway so I took that one, leaving a mate
about 8 hours of work to re-build his PC disk. Heh, he's over it

I used the tivo boot cd (with mfstools v2 on a separate floppy) so I
unplugged all hard disks except the tivo disk and the new disk. Highly
recommended, just for peace of mind.

Geoff