Difference between Pace 4001 and Pace non-4001 STBs?

Old November 28th 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Roman Spanner

Default Difference between Pace 4001 and Pace non-4001 STBs?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the recent Pace 4001 STB and the
previous STBs (1000, 2000, 4000), such that it does not need a remote
control translator (such as the one from Red-Eye http://www.redremote.co.uk)
when using a VCR or PC-based PVR?

Cheers

Roman

Old November 28th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Roman Spanner

Some additional info :- I have a Pace 4001STB and am interested in putting
together a PC-based PVR, but am not sure how my PC will control the 4001.
I've seen lots of posts indicating the use of the the remote control
transmitter from Red-Eye but the web site says it is not necessary and does
not work with the 4001 because it uses RC5(?).

So, given that I have the Pace 4001, a PC with a tv card (undecided between
a Hauppage WinTV PVR 250/350 or Leadtek WinFast TV2000 Expert) and phat HDD,
what else do I need to ensure scheduled programme recording will work?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I spent several hours
trawling through newsgroups and found no mention of the 4001 STB.

Many thanks in advance.

Roman

"Roman Spanner" k wrote in
message ...

Old November 28th 03, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:33:36 -0000, "Roman Spanner"
k wrote:

Some additional info :- I have a Pace 4001STB and am interested in putting
together a PC-based PVR, but am not sure how my PC will control the 4001.
I've seen lots of posts indicating the use of the the remote control
transmitter from Red-Eye but the web site says it is not necessary and does
not work with the 4001 because it uses RC5(?).

So, given that I have the Pace 4001, a PC with a tv card (undecided between
a Hauppage WinTV PVR 250/350 or Leadtek WinFast TV2000 Expert) and phat HDD,
what else do I need to ensure scheduled programme recording will work?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I spent several hours
trawling through newsgroups and found no mention of the 4001 STB.

Many thanks in advance.

Roman

You will need some sort of IR interface for you PC which can be programmed to send RC5 codes - RC5
is probably the most common IR format in use.

Email me if you need a list of the RC5 codes for the 4001

Old November 28th 03, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

k wrote:

Some additional info :- I have a Pace 4001STB and am interested in putting
together a PC-based PVR, but am not sure how my PC will control the 4001.
I've seen lots of posts indicating the use of the the remote control
transmitter from Red-Eye but the web site says it is not necessary and does
not work with the 4001 because it uses RC5(?).

So, given that I have the Pace 4001, a PC with a tv card (undecided between
a Hauppage WinTV PVR 250/350 or Leadtek WinFast TV2000 Expert) and phat HDD,
what else do I need to ensure scheduled programme recording will work?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I spent several hours
trawling through newsgroups and found no mention of the 4001 STB.

Many thanks in advance.

Roman

P.S. if you can persuade your PVR software to send channel commands to the serial port, you could
use this to control a 4001 STB :
www.redremote.co.uk/serial
Old November 30th 03, 08:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Roman Spanner

Mike

Many thanks for the details.

Roman