TiVo, Red-Eye & Telewest Pace

Old November 24th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Anuk Su Namun

Default TiVo, Red-Eye & Telewest Pace

For those of you with the above combination: do you get a 100% success
rate on changing channels?
Old November 24th 03, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On 24 Nov 2003 10:05:00 GMT, Anuk Su Namun wrote:

For those of you with the above combination: do you get a 100% success
rate on changing channels?

It appears that the Pace box has some inherent sluggishness/non-responsiveness that causes some
problems with any channel-changing system (I think this is worse on NTL than TW)

There is some discussion of this towards the end of this thread on the Tivo Forum :
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...e&pagenumber=1

It seems that there are issues with changing channels at certain times, and Pace have acknowledged
that there is an issue :
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&pagenumber=10

Old November 24th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:39:35 +0000, Mike Harrison
wrote:

On 24 Nov 2003 10:05:00 GMT, Anuk Su Namun wrote:

For those of you with the above combination: do you get a 100% success
rate on changing channels?

It appears that the Pace box has some inherent
sluggishness/non-responsiveness that causes some problems with any
channel-changing system (I think this is worse on NTL than TW)

It got worse (with NTL) when they changed software so that the on-screen
displays are pink instead of blue. No, that's not cause and effect g,
it just shows the release of firmware when it happened. Basically, what
needs to be done is to increase the number of repeats of the code
sequence for each key and also increase the time between key presses
(while not going so long that you get the timeout and 123 selects
channel 1, channel 2 and then channel 3!).

My software (on Linux) has been tweaked to give better than 99.9%
accuracy (on the two boxes I've had since then), but I don't know how
mauch the modifications to other controllers has been tweaked.

It seems that there are issues with changing channels at certain
times, and Pace have acknowledged that there is an issue :

http://tinyurl.com/wbqa

(long URLs are a real pain in many news and mail clients, tinyurl.com is
very useful...)

Yes, as they say there are problems with delays. What I have found is
that on my box it saves up commands and then does them all in a rush, so
for instance I will select program up several times with no result and
several seconds later it will jump through all of the channels. This
means that iff my software issues "123" then it may take several seconds
to get to channel 123 but it does get there. It isn't related to the
problem above, which is to do with the STB not even processing
individual key packets properly...

(In other words, they have at least two major problems...)

Chris C