IR Adaptor to make TIVO work with Telewest Digi box

Old November 18th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve

Default IR Adaptor to make TIVO work with Telewest Digi box

Hi,

anyone got a IR adaptor for a PACE 1000 / 2000 series digi box to work with
a Tivo Unit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get one of these I would be
most grateful.

Will I be able to use my Digi box remote to work my box independently of the
TIVO and are there any other alternatives to the TIVO IR adaptor.

Many thanks

Steve
Bristol, UK

Old November 19th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:25:12 -0000, "Steve" wrote:

Hi,

anyone got a IR adaptor for a PACE 1000 / 2000 series digi box to work with
a Tivo Unit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get one of these I would be
most grateful.

Will I be able to use my Digi box remote to work my box independently of the
TIVO and are there any other alternatives to the TIVO IR adaptor.

Many thanks

Steve
Bristol, UK

You can use a Red-Eye to do this (www.redremote.co.uk).
This also allows use of universal remotes, Prontos etc. to control the Pace Telwest/NTL digi cable
boxes.
You will still be able to use the original STB remote.

Old November 19th 03, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin Reilly

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 Steve wrote:

Will I be able to use my Digi box remote to work my box independently of the
TIVO and are there any other alternatives to the TIVO IR adaptor.

TiVo of course provide an adaptor of their own design but personally I
use one of these: http://www.redremote.co.uk/ in preference, partly
because it seems slightly more reliable but mainly because it's
physically much smaller and takes its power from the cable box so
there's no mains adaptor to worry about.

It's still not perfect on my 1000 series Pace box; E4 and E4+1 are
particularly problematic with missed digits. If each new episode of The
West Wing wasn't on about eight times per week I'd be tearing my hair
out by now.

Don't let that put you off, though. Some other folks, especially over at
tivocommunity.com, are having no problems at all with IR translation. I
suspect it's down to tolerances in the individual Pace boxes, or
possibly stray IR in the environment.

The Red-Eye is transparent, by the way, so you can stick it right over
the Pace's IR receiver window and still use the Pace remote for channel
hopping.

--
Kev
"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed

Old November 19th 03, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ric

I have noticed when using my Pronto that it works okay most of the time but
I particularly have trouble straight after using the original STB remote.
Anyone else ever noticed this?

Old November 19th 03, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:35:51 -0000, "Ric" wrote:

I have noticed when using my Pronto that it works okay most of the time but
I particularly have trouble straight after using the original STB remote.
Anyone else ever noticed this?

It could be that the STB takes a little while to adjust to differing IR signal levels -
repositioning the Red-Eye, or putting paper between Red-Eye and the STB to attenuate the IR signal
may help.

Old November 19th 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Keith D Pipex

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

anyone got a IR adaptor for a PACE 1000 / 2000 series digi box to work

with
a Tivo Unit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get one of these I would

be
most grateful.

Will I be able to use my Digi box remote to work my box independently of

the
TIVO and are there any other alternatives to the TIVO IR adaptor.

Many thanks

Steve
Bristol, UK

Hi Steve,
Did you get my email ? If not then I'll resend. If you aren't
interested can you reply to confirm it. I've never had a problem with the
IR adaptor though it does require it's own power source.

Thanks,
Keith

Old November 20th 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve

"Keith D Pipex" munged @ munged . com wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Keith,

No I didnít get your email. Please send to and we
can sort something out. I am still interested.

Regards

Steve Robinson

Old November 20th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Anuk Su Namun

So with this redeye do you guys use the same IR code settings in Tivo, or
another batch?
Old November 20th 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Keith D Pipex

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

No I didn't get your email. Please send to stevebristol munged munged

munged @hotmail.com and we
can sort something out. I am still interested.

Regards

Steve Robinson

Hi Steve,
I've sent it again ... if this is a normal email address of yours then
I'd cancel the newsgroup message ASAP or it's Newsgroup induced Spam hell
for you. If not, ignore me :-)

Keith

Old November 21st 03, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin Reilly

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 Anuk Su Namun wrote:

So with this redeye do you guys use the same IR code settings in Tivo, or
another batch?

The Red-Eye uses Philips code 20012 from the TiVo code set. This is a
fairly standard set of codes and was chosen because it matches many
default sets built into remotes like the One-4-All series and, of
course, the Pronto.

--
Kev
"Please waste."