Using Tivo with Telewest Digi Box

Old November 16th 03, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve

Default Using Tivo with Telewest Digi Box

Hi,

sorry if this has been asked many many times before.

I have Telewest Digital and am thinking very seriously about purchasing a
Tivo unit. Will I need a to use an adaptor (I have no problem shelling out
for this) and if I do do they work with no problems ?

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Regards

Steve Robinson

Old November 16th 03, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Keith D Pipex

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

sorry if this has been asked many many times before.

I have Telewest Digital and am thinking very seriously about purchasing a
Tivo unit. Will I need a to use an adaptor (I have no problem shelling out
for this) and if I do do they work with no problems ?

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Regards

Steve Robinson

Hi Steve,
It depends on which PACE box you've got. I can't remember but I
believe a 4000 unit is okay with normal IR transmitters. If it's an older
box then you will probably need the IR converter. Funnily enough I've just
moved out of a Telewest area so have no further use for the converter. If
you need one just let me know and you can have it for 15 (postage included)
if you like. That's of course if they still cost 25 new - if I find
they've dropped in price then I can adjust accordingly - but the price wont
go up. If you need to get in touch then let me know via the newsgroup (v.
sick of spam). Of course, for a nominal fee of 25 I believe Telewest will
upgrade your box but they won't guarantee that it will work with Tivo and
I've never tried it.

Hope this helps and I've not been too vague or written too much rubbish,
Keith

Old November 17th 03, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve

Hi,

thanks for that Keith.

If you could email me via

so we can sort something out.

Many thanks.

Steve

Old November 17th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Switters

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:51:16 GMT, "Steve"
allegedly wrote:

I have Telewest Digital and am thinking very seriously about
purchasing a Tivo unit. Will I need a to use an adaptor (I have no
problem shelling out for this) and if I do do they work with no
problems ?

With the Pace 4000 the standard Tivo cable can be used. I get about a 90%
success rate on changing channels. Occassionally one digit will get
missed, so obviously the STB won't change over. Sometimes digits can be
missed on 2 successive change overs, and you can end up on a completely
different channel.

The person I spoke to at Tivo said I won't need the "dongle" if the IR
transmitter is working.

Overall, I'm better off than I was, as at least it does change channel
most of the time. If only I could get this to 100% though.
Old November 18th 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ric

I have similar trouble with my Phillips pronto remote - because the Pace
4000 doesn't really like standard IR signals and is more geared towards its
native signals from its own remote.

Old November 18th 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Angus Rae

Ric wrote:

I have similar trouble with my Phillips pronto remote - because the Pace
4000 doesn't really like standard IR signals and is more geared towards its
native signals from its own remote.

You might want to check out the device available from
http://www.redremote.co.uk/ - it's around the same price as the TiVo
dongle, but has a couple of advantages in that a) it's powered from the
Pace STB and so doesn't need another power socket and b) it takes any IR
signal and converts it rather than just acting as an output device for
the TiVo, so standard remotes can then be used with the STB.

There's also a bunch of downloads for the Pronto on that site.

Please note I have not actually tried the RedEye, so I'm not even
speaking as a customer! Caveat emptor. ;-)

--
Angus G Rae Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team University of Edinburgh